Big Rig marker lights...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

...make real cool bike tail lights.

I just got a coupla diffrent styles from my local Truck Stop.

on the bulb note they make a high intensity maglite replacement bulb that would be good for a headlight bulb price is high but man those things are BRIGHT

LED_LPR-3.jpg

http://www.coolflashlights.com/LED_Bulbs.html

I've found out that LED lights dont need the whole 12v to be lit and still bright! I've tested auto LED lights on 6v and 9v with the same results as if they where on 12v juice! Long term testing still pending, stay tuned...

I havent experimented much with lights. Though, I did put a blue trailer light on the rear fender of my build off bike, it was really cool. Their is deffinately a lot of potential in "truck stop lighting". :D
rat014.jpg

I've found out that LED lights dont need the whole 12v to be lit and still bright! I've tested auto LED lights on 6v and 9v with the same results as if they where on 12v juice! Long term testing still pending, stay tuned...

LEDs operate within a specific voltage range. When wiring them, it is important to make sure the voltage will remain constant otherwise they'll be really dim, or burn out. I do it the easy way with a resistor for each LED, and the whole thing is a parellel circuit so if one of my crappy connections goes, nothing exciting happens. There are fancier cooler ways of doing this, which allow for variable voltage, but I don't know enough about electronics to figure them out. I suspect your LEDs are wired with some fancier method than mine. There will be a bottom end (probably about 2v), and a top end I don't recomend trying to find because when you do, something will break.

Even though they might be a bit finicky if you're building a circuit from scratch, LEDs are cheap, last for a long time, don't use that much power, and can be brighter than a normal bulb.

A fireind of mine got some tailight 'bulbs' from a Tesla Car, check out http://www.teslamotors.com The LEDs they use are so bright that you can see lightwave interference patterns around them- in broad daylight. They're about $50 a board though. the board is the LEDs and the driver circuit. I, too have converted my 'old school' lights to LEDs and the flashing mode seems to be most visible.

man i thought everyone was doing this

my dad is a truck driver and way back when he was always the guy with the HUGE and incredibly SHINY truck goin down the road
well that job came and when and he ended up with LOADS of truck lights around the garage
i rember as a little kid i was always tryin to mount em usin zip ties
never worked to well :wink:

Latest posts

Back