Bicycle painting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hi I have an old schwinn frame and when I received it, it was caked in lime green paint. I was able to save the head badge. I tried using easy off to try to save the original paint underneath, but that's just not going happen. The orginal paint is pretty toast. I'm curious if I should use paint stripper and take it down to bare metal or sanded it. What is everyone's prefered method? Sanding is kind of a pain, but I've heard using paint stripper can damage the metal? Any info will help. Thanks

I use an electric wire brush, works well for me, just make sure if you do, you use a face mask and eye protection at the very least!

14158044635_b38492baa6_z.jpg

Luke.

When I have a frame caked with 3 coats of house paint I take them to a friend that owns a radiator shop. He puts the frame in the tank used to clean radiators overnight and the next day the frame is bare metal. If you have a radiator repair shop handy, it's would be worth asking them if they'd do it.
I used to work in a machine shop that had a big bead blast machine. That was the ultimate for frame prep. It gets every molecule of paint and rust off the metal. I primed the frame as soon as it came out of the bead blaster.
Or, easier yet, if you decide to powder coat the frame, just drop it off at the powder coaters and they will blast and coat while you're home on your patio enjoying a mint julep. Easy! Gary

Be very aware of what method automotive shops use to clean.
For steel most use caustic soda bath, which will melt aluminum, and at very least turn it nasty black! Also it will attack fillers, including brass, copper, and bronze.
For aluminum most shops use a hot soapy mix in a spray booth. This is how I would have my own stuff washed, but be warned, a bunch of paint in the tank, you will pay!

I recently used this stuff, it works awesome and is eco-friendly.
I got it at Menards. You just slop it on the frame, let it sit for a few hours and scrape it off.
Everything just falls off so easily.
ReadyStripPlusQT.jpg

My 6 yr old and I are building an old bike for him right now. Bike is from the 50's, paint was fused using some form of radioactive processing, what I mean is that it was on there. I used aircraft stripper, took two coats, scraped it off with putty knife. I then used wire wheels to remove the rest. Was going to paint it blue cause my son wanted it that, but when all the paint was off he wanted it bare metal.

Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated. I will probably try some stripper and see how it turns out. My biggest concern was damaging the frame with chemicals. I had read somewhere that strippers can damage the frame.

Thanks for all the info. Yeah I tried some paint stripper and you are right it did not work very good. I ended up using a hand sander with sandpaper. I have about half of the frame done. I do have a dremel so I'll probably use that to get in the small areas.

Jarod: How well did the oven cleaner work? I have a set of fenders that had original paint plus one layer of barn paint..., I tried oven cleaner to remove the top coat, and it stripped them down to the bare metal in a matter of seconds! :eek::confused:

Doug the oven cleaner somewhat worked but yeah it started to kinda take off the original paint. The spray paint or whatever kind of paint that was on there was super thick. I was able to save the badge though and good thing is I was actually planning on painting it the exact color it originally was before I even knew what it was :)

I sent you an email earlier too, just curious do you use anything on the original paint to make it shine. I feel like the Higgins I bought from you shines more than my other bikes.

If oven cleaner, wood bleach, box blade or rubbing alcohol doesn't work I bring out my wire wheel :blush: It a wee bit small of a machine and will leave your fingers feeling tingly :rofl:

And this is how long it is :D

If oven cleaner, wood bleach, box blade or rubbing alcohol doesn't work I bring out my wire wheel :blush: It a wee bit small of a machine and will leave your fingers feeling tingly :rofl:

And this is how long it is :D
:eek: Yeah, that ought to do it!

Luke.

LuketheJoker is right !! To get bare metal with minimal expense.
A basic drill and a wire brush, face shield to protect eyes and face from flying loose wire bristles

Typos curtesy of iPhone

Ohhh
Good one Gary !!!
The eyes are open and unprotected on that mask, so no safety shield for my baby blue eyes

Typos curtesy of iPhone

Yeah sand paper with a hand sander is what I ended up using, Thanks for all the input everyone, really appreciate it. Maybe Ill post a pic when I'm all done. If it comes out good haha

Latest posts

Back