bicycle grease

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't fill the head tube or bottom bracket but pack the bearings correctly and put some in the bearing cups,cones, or races or whatever you call it. I think those high tech lubes are targeted towards racers and weight weenies that have their bikes apart once a month trying to figure out how to shave off another ounce or two. :mrgreen:

armandgil said:
I think those high tech lubes are targeted towards racers and weight weenies that have their bikes apart once a month trying to figure out how to shave off another ounce or two. :mrgreen:

not so much...riding rear-round in a very cold climate gives you a new respect for the synthetic bicycle grease...in the summer I use synthetic auto-grade grease, but for winter riding I go with the bike grease. Winter riding in below-zero temps is bad enough w/o having to fight the grease.

Hotdoggin' said:
armandgil said:
I use automotive bearing grease and lots of it! The worst thing for bearings is water ,so if the grease is taking up as much room as possible it's unlikely the water will get in there...make sense? It's also ALOT cheaper than the high tech bike grease.

I got taken for $7.99USD for the Phil Wood grease and $9.99 for the Pedro's synthetic. That's why I'm curious about the quantity recommended. Won't take long to use a tube filling a head tube with grease. Same goes for the crank. That, and the fact that the whole bike frame will be filled with grease if I take it apart a couple times and repack each time...
you pack the bearings and cups not the whole bike lol

Lithium based white grease get your LBS to order you in a comercial bucket of it.

Latest posts

Back