bent fork help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Shelby Flyer with a bent fork. Its bent at the base. I dont think it can be bent back, and if it could be I dont think it would stay. They are blade type forks with a 7 1.25 head tube. They look like the type of fork that Schwinn used, but I think Schwinn used a shorter head tube. If I was to use heat and bend it back how would I get them straight, and would it even hold?

Something like this?

3M83m83pa5Nf5Ec5Jcd2a988159e6584911fd_zps4ea8e0d1.jpg

Gonzo Adonis said:
I have a Shelby Flyer with a bent fork. Its bent at the base. I dont think it can be bent back, and if it could be I dont think it would stay. They are blade type forks with a 7 1.25 head tube. They look like the type of fork that Schwinn used, but I think Schwinn used a shorter head tube. If I was to use heat and bend it back how would I get them straight, and would it even hold?

RatSphinx said:
Something like this?

Gonzo Adonis said:

yeah thats the bike. Is it the pic or are the forks bent on that bike too?

They are bent. I just needed you to identify yours, so I can try to help. I'm thinking about buying the one pictured. I don't think straightening such a damaged fork would be in your interest. However, I'm no expert in this. Wait for more people to weigh in on this.This picture may help you find one from another member.

RatSphinx said:
They are bent. I just needed you to identify yours, so I can try to help. I'm thinking about buying the one pictured. I don't think straightening such a damaged fork would be in your interest. However, I'm no expert in this. Wait for more people to weigh in on this.This picture may help you fin d one from another member.
thanks. if i dont get the forks and fender for it at least i would have a cool rear rack.

I have straightened forks using a jack and a couple of blocks on the trailer hitch of my truck. Place blocks on the sides of the bend then jack the bent area, go slow and it should be fine. You can use truss rods to strengthen the front after done.
IMG-20120816-00461.jpg

IMG-20120816-00462.jpg

I do have another bike like this with that fork. It's buried deep in the over stuffed garage, where I won't be able to access it with very much ease. I'm thinking the fork is straight, just not 100% sure.We can probably make a reasonably cheap deal for you for about $25 shipped if you want it. If I can get at it, I'll post pics as soon as I can. In the mean time, if you find something else, don't worry about hurting my feelings. I'm not really big into flipping bikes or parts at this time. I've got problems with the house and finding a new job at this time. I do want to help you though.With any luck at all, I'll try to dig the bike out.

Gonzo Adonis said:
RatSphinx said:
They are bent. I just needed you to identify yours, so I can try to help. I'm thinking about buying the one pictured. I don't think straightening such a damaged fork would be in your interest. However, I'm no expert in this. Wait for more people to weigh in on this.This picture may help you fin d one from another member.
thanks. if i dont get the forks and fender for it at least i would have a cool rear rack.

If you get around to pulling the forks and fender out of the garage let me know. Im just waiting until I find the parts to put her together. I thought I would have to wait until a swap meet.
RatSphinx said:
Regardless if you are going to need the straight for or not, I'll have a fender deal for you as well.

Here's my technique for fork straightening, although it's pretty by-the-seat-of-your-pants, I've found it works well.

Take the bent forks off of the bike, and assemble them facing backwards into a second random frame, without bearings in thr cups. tighten down the headset races so the fork is pinched, again, with it faxing backwards. Then, put down some thick cardboard over the floor, grab the frame/bent fork, and with measured amounts of force, bounce the fork on the ground. Keep on hitting it until it's straight enough for your likings. And, bob's your uncle!

Latest posts

Back