Bendix Kickback Questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the red band Bendix kickback hub with 18 tooth cog gives 1:1 ratio in high gear, how many teeth is the lower gear comparable to?
Is there a big difference between high and low gear or is it a matter of a few teeth on the rear cog?
Thanks.

Good info. The low gear on the most common 3 speed is 75/1, so the Bendix 2 speed has a little lower gearing.

FWIW, if you think of the typical "English Sturmey Archer 3spd' as having a 1:1 for 2nd gear then 1st is 25% less and high 33% more.
Thus, with their common cogs of 46T/18T the 2nd is 2.55:1
1st is 1.91:1
3rd is 3.39:1
So, you see your RB Bendix, will still be 1:1 in 'high' regardless of the cogs you use, but with, say a 44/17, at 2.58:1 you will be close to the 2nd indicated above, and your low would be similar to the 1st.
I have a sgl.spd. coaster rear with just those and will change to a 16 rear (2.75:1) for flat going. With a 2spd. I would have a low of 2.06:1 (about the same as running 44/22) which would make a nice combination for me, though maybe not for you.

Latest posts

Back