ATOMIC PUNK - New camera time - August 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Vintage Mic Tail Light Progress!! - June 14

That mic is perfect for this application :!: I have a feeling it will be copied.Are you going to use something for a lens :?: A piece of red lexan(or whatever that plastic sheet stuff is called)cut to the proper size would give it a nice finished look and conceal the innards.Great idea for a tail light :idea: :wink:

I'M BUMMIN'!!! I was kickin around some junk stores and found old mics and said to myself "THIS would make an AWESOME tail-light!" but they wanted $95.00 for the old mic...
Gotta say Your bike is looking great and the Shure Green Bullet mic headlight....HECK YES!!! Maybe for handgrips you can hollow out some SM-58s!!! Anywayz!....Your bike is badness personified!

Circa Cycles said:
That mic is perfect for this application :!: I have a feeling it will be copied.Are you going to use something for a lens :?: A piece of red lexan(or whatever that plastic sheet stuff is called)cut to the proper size would give it a nice finished look and conceal the innards.Great idea for a tail light :idea: :wink:

I've got some red acrylic, and will try a couple of different options to see which one I like the best. At this stage I am leaning towards covering the half of the case that holds the light and leaving the other half open..........I like the way the inside of the mic lights up and glows :D

kingfish254 said:
PURE AWESOMENSS!!!!! You should change the name to Atomic Punk Lounge Lizard!

stockwellbluevelvet-1.jpg

"Ben is so ...suave!" Cooool light!

I figured you had a plan.The thought popped into my head after seeing your light and figured I'd share it.Can't wait to see more. :wink:

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Rockers done and lost some blood! June 17

I got the rockers done today as well as the the lower mounts............Very happy to have this done!! Just a little bit of tidying up of the brazing and cut the fork tubes to length, then make some shoulder bolts or bushes for the pivots, and start doing some other stuff on the bike.
When I was shaping the rockers on the linisher, I was pushing a little hard and slipped and cut my finger to the bone on the edge of the belt :( ........ I tell my students every day to be careful on the linisher......now I guess I can show them what happens when you're not :oops:

I'm really happy with how this springer is shaping up, and even though I still have to bolt the shocks properly at the top mounts and replace the bit of rod holding the bottom mounts with a bolt, it's feeling nice and tight. I mounted the shocks with their mounting points at 90 degrees to each other and there is no lateral movement at all :D

Dog bones or big chain links?
DSCF2713.jpg

All together
DSCF2718.jpg

DSCF2722.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Fooling around with a headlight - June 19

I deleted the pic of my cut finger in my last post........my wife said it looked like I was flipping the bird :oops: :oops: :oops:

I started playing around with headlight mounting today. This one is the favorite so far. I would like to find something smaller, or maybe even a pair of smaller lights, but given the things I still need to do to this bike and the building time I will have, this will probably be the light I'll use (with a different mount).

DSCF2731.jpg

DSCF2732.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Headlight Mounting - June 19

That light is pretty cool.But the white circles are sliding off your frame :!:

Circa Cycles said:
That light is pretty cool.But the white circles are sliding off your frame :!:

Yeah, I was thinking about some holes in the tank area for a while..........changed my mind and painted some on the downtube to look at for a couple of days.........I think they will slide off and stay off :wink:

If you could drill the holes out and fill them with the same OD tubing and weld up the seams & blend them all in... That would look sweet.

Like this:
IMG_0551.jpg

I think with the visual 'weight' of the front end, adding holes to the frame would make it look 'frail' in comparison, i would forego the holes.

just my .02

BTW, this may be the 'BADDEST' front end I've seen in a long time!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Never hurts to explore your options.You made a wise choice,imho :wink:

Critter1 said:
If you could drill the holes out and fill them with the same OD tubing and weld up the seams & blend them all in... That would look sweet.

Like this:
IMG_0551.jpg

That was the plan, but after looking at it for a day or two I decided to not do the holes.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I think with the visual 'weight' of the front end, adding holes to the frame would make it look 'frail' in comparison, i would forego the holes.

just my .02

BTW, this may be the 'BADDEST' front end I've seen in a long time!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Dr.T. Yep, I agree on the holes for the very reason you posted :D

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - More tail light work - June 21

I bent a piece of transluscent red acrylic around some pipe to make a cover for the inside of the light. Just have to clean the glue residue off the inside of the mic case and polish it to make it glow. I'm just going to hot glue the red cover in to make it easy remove to change batteries.

DSCF2740.jpg

DSCF2745.jpg

Cool :!: Should look nice polished up 8) 8)

Nice work on the mic light.
Looking forward to seeing it glow red!

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Little Punk tag - June 22

I wanted to do something with the disc brake tabs on the fork leg
DSCF2778.jpg

So I cut some 2mm aluminium into a strip
DSCF2772.jpg

Used some of these
DSCF2774.jpg

To make this
DSCF2781.jpg

Not sure if rivets will be the final mounting method, and it'll get polished later on.

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - LED Sled - June 24

I'm going to weld a plate at the top of the seat stays from the post to the brake bridge to add a support for the seat pan, so decided to have a play around with a green flexi LED strip I've had floating around for years. If I decide to use it, it will be under the plate and not visible......the battery holder would be hidden under there as well. I'll keep looking at it over the next couple of days to see if it stays or not. The Flying A may or may not end up there as well ...........just throwin' ideas around :? :? :?

DSCF2787.jpg

DSCF2793.jpg

DSCF2789.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - LED Sled - June 24

Green Lantern

Latest posts

Back