Apple-atcha Crate'r

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJV

Reaction score
20230901_111043.jpg

AKA : Middlesboro Monterey.

Pulled the chain guard. Crank nut rusted: sprayed with penetrating oil. Also sprayed the complet interior of frame with penetrating oil. Before I sprayed the oil: knocked off most of what was left of the blue paint on the Underside.
Now: it will hang with headtube down ; so all oil will drain
20230908_093245.jpg
20230908_102719.jpg
20230908_104644.jpg
20230908_112848.jpg

If you have a clamp of some type or a vise that will open enough, squeeze the end of the wrench and the end of the crank arm together from the position in this photo.
247955-20230909-085142.jpg
Yeah: thats why i have it at that angle ,,except the vise big & strong enuf: had football practice or something today.
(@cjperry81 ).

I only had a few to tinker tis morn.. i get it in no time ; whenever I get back around here to work on it again.

Yeah: thats why i have it at that angle ,,except the vise big & strong enuf: had football practice or something today.
(@cjperry81 ).

I only had a few to tinker tis morn.. i get it in no time ; whenever I get back around here to work on it again.
I’m going to have to start putting “human vice” on my resume! Lol @KJV

using a chain breaker, push a pin out til it's still in the opposite plate, then wiggle it apart. push it back thru to assemble.

Ah, classic chains, no convenient clip to allow you to take it apart, it is why you see so many old frames with the chain still on. All my chains are like this, except one.

If you do not have a tool to take them apart, then carefully laying it on a vice and pushing out any of those pins with a pin punch also works, or instead of a vice putting a small bit of tube or an old nut behind it also works.

Ah, classic chains, no convenient clip to allow you to take it apart, it is why you see so many old frames with the chain still on. All my chains are like this, except one.

If you do not have a tool to take them apart, then carefully laying it on a vice and pushing out any of those pins with a pin punch also works, or instead of a vice putting a small bit of tube or an old nut behind it also works.
Well, I have all the proper tools for anything. But, after a flood and all kinds of problems everything being moved because Place being redone, difficult to find things. And when you're only around about 24 to 48 hours a week,( usually a day and a half before on the road again( and only have about an hour to spend on the bike project; no time to go searching. Besides the chain needs to be replaced anyway.

Truth is those wheels and tires are most definitely not going to be on this build.
But I do have another ideal for this build, as far as Wheel and Tire combo. As for the seat and sissy bar; I brought them home from Kentucky in july. To build a bicycle around them to take to Kentucky to leave.
Stay Tooned..

Latest posts

Back