Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

Checked out the alignment today, forks are spot on and can be welded up. Wheeled it out for a mock up/progress photo...

DSC00257 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Ordered the chainwheel and freewheel I need to match the other side yesterday, also ordered a dual cable brake lever this morning, once they get here I am pretty sure I have everything I need to finish the bike! :mrgreen: Oh, except maybe pedals, not sure what I am doing there yet.

Been thinking on the ape hangers, I'm thinking I might do something a little bit different for them, have to see what I come up with, also going to make a seat post that the seat can move back and forward on, allow a little more adjustability for tall/short riders.

The time is flying, but it should not be too long before the bike can be test ridden... :D
Still so much to do yet, got to run cable guides, brake calliper mounts, chainguards if I have time, I was going to add headlights and taillights. :roll: Some of it probably will not happen.

Luke.

Is it just me or does that photo make the bike look like a 60's Gasser?

willys gasser by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Maybe I should shorten the forks more to lower the front of the bike...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Checked out the alignment today, forks are spot on and can be welded up. Wheeled it out for a mock up/progress photo...

DSC00257 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Ordered the chainwheel and freewheel I need to match the other side yesterday, also ordered a dual cable brake lever this morning, once they get here I am pretty sure I have everything I need to finish the bike! :mrgreen: Oh, except maybe pedals, not sure what I am doing there yet.

Been thinking on the ape hangers, I'm thinking I might do something a little bit different for them, have to see what I come up with, also going to make a seat post that the seat can move back and forward on, allow a little more adjustability for tall/short riders.

The time is flying, but it should not be too long before the bike can be test ridden... :D
Still so much to do yet, got to run cable guides, brake calliper mounts, chainguards if I have time, I was going to add headlights and taillights. :roll: Some of it probably will not happen.

Luke.

thats sick! where did you get that double sided brake lever from?? link?? im in desperate need of one..
awesome stance b.t.w
Cheers,
Jake

Jake, got that brake lever from eBay Australia, here is the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281011692094 ... 438.l2649#
I dont know if they send overseas or what the freight would cost but there must be something similar on eBay over there?

Regarding the bike, had a really productive day on it, started with the frame braces that join the twin top bars to the seat tube, they were easier than expected, so then moved on to the multi adjustable seat post idea, welded some square tube to the top, added a little brace and now I have a seat tube that not only adjusts up and down 8 inchs, but also adjusts up to four inchs in front or behind the seat post, giving it 8 inchs total fore and aft adjustment. For me it will of course be adjusted all the way up and back... :wink:

Even though it was quite dark, I borrowed my Wifes camera to get these pics, I don't want BigFatCat to get upset! :mrgreen:

P2208773 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

After doing all that I still had plenty of day and energy left so I decided to start on the handlebars, I had in mind a cool idea that sprung from the concept "freddyfingaz" is using on his "Spyder Monkey" build (Link: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=63722&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ) (Thanks for the permission to use the idea Freddy!) This version is a bit different though, it uses a welded bottom mount on the fork crown and a flipped mountain bike style stem on top to give it two connections to minimise the flex coming from the bars being 28 inches long... It does mean the bars can no longer be adjusted forward or back though, so I spent quite a bit of time getting them exactly where I wanted them before welding the mounts, I then added little braces to the bottom mount that give the hint of truss rods to the look... Even though the guard is not fitted in this photo, I did manage to make it work by dimpling the sides a bit longer than what I had done before to clear just the forks.

P2208772 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Now you are probably wondering what 28 inch long ape hangers look like on the bike? Well, they look like this...

P2208771 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

And even though they are so long, there is very little flex due to the dual mounting arrangement... 8)

That's it for today, I am planning however on test riding it before the week is over, it will probably be only single sided drive and no brakes but it should give me an idea of what it will be like when it is done.

Luke.

First proper respect for this before me...

Jake, your build is really coming together nicely, good job!
Terry, that is just plain "sick" the shifter is right on target with the rest of the theme to your build. Very nicely done!
Luke, that is really looking good! I love it!

First chance I had in the garage this week, rain or just too cold to work outside, only a couple of hours progress, but at least something.
Worked on the forks today, I had some grinding and some holes to cut into the tree supports. I went with straight forks, I wanted to maintain the basic stance it has now and the curved pieces did not want to work without me having to change the angle of the head tube...
I really gotta step up my game, you guys are all gonna beat me to the finish line :)

newestmusclebikewithforks_zps03003927.jpg

Rich

Wow all, there are some cool builds laking shape, very impressive everyone. It was stated earlier mine looks like the one to aim at...yea right lol. I didn't even know of this sight till after I started building the bike to fit the tank I got scraping which got me interested in bikes and building them which led me here. The frame was even fabricated from scrap irrigation piping. I look forward to seeing all the finished builds. Good luck to everyone. HAPPY BUILDING :>)

Wow luke that stance is AWESOME!! The undermount bars look sweeet!

Rich that fork looks perfect. It's a great transition from the curves! I can't wait to see it rolling!!

Glad you found us krandall. This is one fun hobby!!

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen:

Heading out for other things, this is this mornings work
musclebikesidehigh2now_zps8b621f36.jpg

musclebike3quarterviewnow_zps59dadf8f.jpg

musclebikesidehighnow_zps1680cc05.jpg

Tomorrow I need to pick up a 24" tube liner,
hopefully bend up some handle bars
and if everything goes well, start working on the frame for the seat.

Randal, no matter what you say :) you did a nice job.

On to tackle the world!

Rich

Looks sick rich. Mean as heck.

I assembled what I have for the first time in a bit. The front rim is a temp while I wait for my new front tire but I'm going with the 700c. I need to drop the seat some and figure out cranks. I also need to figure out the lighting.
938577F1-A6B4-4896-97B2-05FFF78752E8-10173-00000E79C48C3119.jpg

Soon enough I'll get the paint figured out.

Wow! Rich and Terry, some awesome progress! All I can say is that I'm glad I dont have to vote at the end...
Not far from a roller by the looks of it Rich! It has a really nice stance to it, very menacing! Nice work on the triple tree front, looks neat!
That new deep vee front wheel has some major sparkle Terry!

Crazy cool bikes coming out of this build off...

Luke.

Holy monkey dude! That's totally trippy! Do they bounce alot or is that pretty thick tube?!

Back