Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

Made some changes to my design, I like the new look of "FatBob" so much I decided to draw the musclebike up shorter to see what it would look like, then changed the front wheel to a 24 instead of the 20, came up with this...

DSC00229 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The black lines are the new idea. I like it I think, going to see what looks best when the time comes, still have to finish the wheel and mount the tire etc. first...

Luke.

A small update, and on the subject of too much information...

I'VE GOT GAS! :oops:

DSC00230 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry, couldn't resist doing something stupid for my 1000th post...

Anyway... Since I now have gas to finish the wheel welding, I did! Gave it a quick spray paint so it looks a little more professional when I go to get the tire fitted tomorrow, need it fitted up so I can build my frame around it, would hate to build it wrong because it wasn't fully fitted when designing, or even worse, designed it right but found out after finishing the frame that the tire has a failure and cant find a replacement the right size, still undecided on what colour the wheel will be, it will depend on what colour the bike is and what type of aerodisc material I use, if I use aerodiscs that is, been thinking about doing the front in a 4 spoke style too, just have to support the rim between the spokes somehow as the bike rim has nowhere near the strength of the car one and is designed to be supported in tension by the spokes...

DSC00231 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Luke.

!!!!!A LONG TIME AGO, IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY IN A SHED.. A MUSCLEBIKE BUILD BEGAN!!!!!
Picture2475_zpsa30a82b0.jpg

finally getting my ... into gear.. :roll:

took this old junky scooter apart to use some stuff..
Picture2452_zpsff416dfd.jpg

Picture2453_zpsef90799e.jpg

cut the front off to use on the build..
looking all sad :( !OH WELL! :x :lol:
Picture2455_zps2cb3f325.jpg

welded some parts together and made a rough mock up..
rest of pics..
Picture2474_zps089481cb.jpg

Picture2472_zpsfc0fd0a3.jpg

cheers,
Jake

I love it Jake! Way to go, glad to see ya back in the fold!

Rich

LukeTheJoker said:
A small update, and on the subject of too much information...

I'VE GOT GAS! :oops:

DSC00230 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry, couldn't resist doing something stupid for my 1000th post...

Anyway... Since I now have gas to finish the wheel welding, I did! Gave it a quick spray paint so it looks a little more professional when I go to get the tire fitted tomorrow, need it fitted up so I can build my frame around it, would hate to build it wrong because it wasn't fully fitted when designing, or even worse, designed it right but found out after finishing the frame that the tire has a failure and cant find a replacement the right size, still undecided on what colour the wheel will be, it will depend on what colour the bike is and what type of aerodisc material I use, if I use aerodiscs that is, been thinking about doing the front in a 4 spoke style too, just have to support the rim between the spokes somehow as the bike rim has nowhere near the strength of the car one and is designed to be supported in tension by the spokes...

DSC00231 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Luke.
I'm glad you got gas :lol:
That wheel looks real good! :D

Lot of cool updates the past few days!!
Keep it up guys!!!
Funky Cold Medina!!!

Sorry guys no new updates on my end. Unfortunatly I have a customer car that was on the back burner, now take front stage and needs to be done yesterday. Gotta love it. I picked up a Schwinn Stingray Muscle bike for $20 the other day and may use it as my base. Keep up the great work guys.

thats nice, gotta say lovin that wheel

So I am sitting here earlier today reading the new posts that have come up and noticed that no one has posted any progress on the build off for a while, I thought, that's cool, plenty of time left. Then I started working out how long I needed for some things working back from the end...
1 week for prep, prime, paint, sand, final assembly, photos etc.
1 week for assembly, fixing any issues, chasing any parts that need changing etc.
1 maybe 2 weeks to build the frame and forks, get them worked out.

Then I started thinking about the possible fire ban days coming up, already lost some work days because of them, I had better allow another 2 days on each step to be sure. (Cant run my homemade petrol compressor on a TFB day either.)
Then I realised I never got around to rewiring my compressor that I will need for painting, probably a good day or two there. (The coil worked lose on its mount and dropped down, earthing the positive wire and cooking most of the wiring and switches. It was only a mock up at that point, so had not installed fuses yet! Rookie mistake!)
Figured my health is a bit unpredictable at the moment, better allow a few extra days there...

Adding all that up, it comes to about 5 and a half weeks, got just over 4 left... Turns out I am already a week+ behind! :shock:

So even though it was nearly 40 degrees (100F) I decided to do some mocking up, started on the frame mock up and realised I was cooking as my work table is partially in the sun, so decided I had better stop... This is as far as I got...

DSC00235 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Not a real lot of progress there, but it did allow me to solidify the way I am going to do things in my head... So when the sun went down, out came the welder, grinders, gloves, helmet etc, and the sparks began to fly! Before long I had this, the basic frame for the RailEliminator! A muscle bike for the new mellenium!

DSC00236 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Sorry for the blurry photo, my phone does not do well on low light...

Still have a lot to do, could not do more because by this point it was 10:30 p.m. and just too dark for me to tell if everything was straight and true, I will get out the string line and rulers tomorrow and hopefully button the frame up. I will post a better pic then. Till then here is a pic my wife took while I was working...

P2088769 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

How are the rest of you guys going?

Luke.

i absolutely love that frame too!! dang you do good work 8)
too bad you are half a world away . id love to see this bad boy in person :mrgreen:
keep up the good work !

junknutz1975 said:
i absolutely love that frame too!! dang you do good work 8)
too bad you are half a world away . id love to see this bad boy in person :mrgreen:
keep up the good work !
Thanks Junknutz! It may look good in the photos, but I had to break tacks and reweld many times to get it to that point, really should build myself a jig, but I keep putting it off because it would have to change for each build I do while I am using these wild rims and tires... :mrgreen:

Luke.

oooo, something wicked this way comes. Luke, your bike is looking great so far.

Back