Anyone help with reapolstry?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some banna seats im restoring with my 2 bikes and im looking for some tips on reapolstring them i found a method for putting foam on the seats and geting it to look nice now i just need to wrap it in some fabric, any fabric thoughts? and any hints on how to get it as smooth and tight as possible around the seat? one seat is metal and has tabs that bend and hold the fabric in place the other one is plasstic and has to part where you wrap the top part then glue it and put the 2nd piece inside of it to lock it down. 8)

My only upholstery experience is with dining room chair cushions, so i'm probably not much help. I have a seat redo project in the works as well, my plan is to hit the local thift shop for an old leather coat or LARGE purse.

Good luck, post some pics of the progress.

Cheers,
Dr. T

the only seat Ive done I used leather-look vinyl that was on sale at the fabric store. It wasnt very thick but the seams that I had to sew would not work on my mom's singer no matter what I did. I bought heavier thread because the thread kept ripping, leather needles because needles kept breaking, and it still wouldn't work. I ended up taking it to an asian shoe repair store and paid them $12 to sew it up. that's less than I spent on stuff to attempt to do it myself not including the time and gas I wasted. If I did it again I would take the Tankenstein's advise and use real leather. the vinyl seems thick, but it's really easy to tear. the rivets on your jeans can tear it.

I just did my first re cover. Simulated leather vinyl, 3M spray on glue and turn on the heater or a blow drier to heat and stretch it all out. My seat pan was plastic and I just stapled it down.

Latest posts

Back