Anybody sniffing BO 19 in the air?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good choices but the second one looks more like your style.

I know that the Oldster Higgins will get built some day, but I'm still not sure if I want another stretch build so soon after Uncle Stretch. If I go that route, I also have this option with my Porucho frame.

1713832182991.png

OH NO, I can't believe Blackout was dismantled!!! 😭

Such a great bike, one of my all-time favorites.
1229b9766af87dc96997373da82693e6.jpg

I agree completely, but he sold off the fork back in 2020. I really wish he would jump back in and build again.

No build-off for me this year. I have some major work to do on our front porch this summer. Grand baby number three was born at the end of March, so Granny and I will be spending more time at our oldest son's place.
I did pick up a 1941 CWC Western Flyer that I will be working on here and there though the summer. I've already been spraying it a couple times a week with Easy Off to get the crappy paint off. Picked up a newer ladies bike to strip the wheels from, which include a Nexus 3 speed rear and a drum brake front. Should be a fun project.
20240406_155520.jpg

I got my first taste as a 'true' grandpa (I have 3 beautiful step-grand girls who are all grown up) this past November. I have to admit, there is no other love like this! @handyandy1100 , we will miss you in the BO 19, but you could document your build along the way in the Other Builds forum, and keep us posted in your comments here.

Your time will be well spent, as MC suggests ^. I have plans to do the same with mine!

Addie and grandpa close up.jpg

I am about to start a build as a gift for my nephew’s high school graduation. He will be moving out on his own, so this will be more functional than ratty. But the timing is right, and it is fun to participate here.

My thoughts are to buy a set of handlebars with integrated basket.
IMG_4980.png

And attach them to either a Schwinn Racer or a Fuji Suncrest.

IMG_4979.jpeg

On the racer I would remove the fenders and rebuild the wheels. I have a 5 speed IGH that might squish in there. I want red tires and would probably need 26 in rims. I’m concerned about going from the current 597 rims to 559 rims, because I would need long reach brakes. My experience with long reach brakes has been they sacrifice a lot of stopping power.

IMG_4978.jpeg

The Fuji would score way less points on the ratrod scale, but would still be a cool bike. And I don’t have to worry about matching brakes with rims. Or respacing dropouts.

Open to opinions.

Also the graduation party in first week in June, so I will have to be fast!

I am about to start a build as a gift for my nephew’s high school graduation. He will be moving out on his own, so this will be more functional than ratty. But the timing is right, and it is fun to participate here.

My thoughts are to buy a set of handlebars with integrated basket.
View attachment 263039

And attach them to either a Schwinn Racer or a Fuji Suncrest.

View attachment 263040
On the racer I would remove the fenders and rebuild the wheels. I have a 5 speed IGH that might squish in there. I want red tires and would probably need 26 in rims. I’m concerned about going from the current 597 rims to 559 rims, because I would need long reach brakes. My experience with long reach brakes has been they sacrifice a lot of stopping power.

View attachment 263041
The Fuji would score way less points on the ratrod scale, but would still be a cool bike. And I don’t have to worry about matching brakes with rims. Or respacing dropouts.

Open to opinions.

Also the graduation party in first week in June, so I will have to be fast!
I would suggest taking the Racer, use 26" rims with 1.75 knobby tires, (or 1.90 might fit like this Continental). Then use a rear hub single speed, or 2 speed that has a coaster brake (like the yellow Varsity), or a drum brake if you can afford one. No cables and clean looking. It would look good as a klunker with those bars. I'd also put a BMX pad on the top bar to cover the thinned area (plus safety) and shine up the original paint.
Picture1.jpg

o06ijd.jpg

Here is a better profile of the Elgin Oriole frame I am thinking of using.

1713914631352.png

Back