Anybody sniffing BO 19 in the air?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
It's been a pretty nice Spring here in the BACK 40 so far. Our area of the North country didn't get much snow this winter, and the grass is greening up and the perenials are pushing up through the dirt.

Speaking of blooming, any ideas popping up in anybody's mind for tbeir builds in the annual RRB Build Off this year?

I plan to be in, this year with a bike model / style that I've never used previously. Looking forward to it!

20240410_165627.jpg

I've been conceptualizing (daydreaming) about a front wheel drive short wheelbase bike. 20" or 26" has yet to be decided. Then some kind of frame, a lot needs to be worked out. I'd also like to encase it in sheet metal with a lot of rivets like a WW2 fighter plane.
machine-gun-on-the-side-of-a-world-war-ii-bomber-ED6KGN.jpg

435805242_302518492877231_5928687632167649670_n.jpg

I have a mix of ideas, but haven't had time to look into my stash to decide which one to work on for BO19. This will be my 14th build off in a row.

I've been conceptualizing (daydreaming) about a front wheel drive short wheelbase bike. 20" or 26" has yet to be decided. Then some kind of frame, a lot needs to be worked out. I'd also like to encase it in sheet metal with a lot of rivets like a WW2 fighter plane.
View attachment 262408

View attachment 262405
Front wheel drive?

Screenshot_20240108_214555_Instagram.jpg

c715dff227ef7154475bff19f844f01a.jpg

Sorry, you said 'short wheelbase' :thumbsup:

I tried to make one from leftover frames in 2007, but it was impossible to steer with the weight of the cranks forward of the front wheel along with sitting low. The ones in the pics you posted must have been difficult to ride, except there is less flop with the cranks behind the wheel. The pics don't show them being ridden.
I plan to have the head tube vertical and the seat sit higher. That should work better, but I won't know until I try it when I begin to build it. With the cranks ahead of the front wheel, the rear wheel can be right up to the front wheel, in theory.

aeb43a02bbc28037bed8eda2bf5da6ec.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still kicking around a few ideas. Saw this Marty Eden built custom bike from the early days that may be an inspiration for my build.
View attachment 262421
View attachment 262423

Have a lot of irons in the fire. Will have a late start, my daughter is graduating from vet school at the first of the month.

Marty made some super creative bikes out of mostly conduit.
Congrats to your daughter.

Marty made some super creative bikes out of mostly conduit.
I got the opportunity to hang out with Marty in last weeks fun over at Mike Brittain's mom's place. Smart creative guys...

At the show, and after, we hung out and heard a lot of stories about the 00's custom bike scene.
Congrats to your daughter.
Thanks, she's put in a ton of hard work. We are so proud of her. She's wanted to be a vet since she was like 4.

I have a mix of ideas, but haven't had time to look into my stash to decide which one to work on for BO19. This will be my 14th build off in a row.
I thought you were planning for another Elgin Twin Bar this year. Got something else up your sleeve?

I'm debating on tearing my Rockin' Rollfast build apart...
I'm also thinking I need to use these fenders...
Maybe get that Hank and that pink rim laced onto something.
IMG_20240413_141832659.jpg
IMG_20240413_141824941.jpg
IMG_20240413_135612125.jpg

I thought you were planning for another Elgin Twin Bar this year. Got something else up your sleeve?

I only build Elgin Twin Bars on the 5's. BO10, BO15, then BO20 next year.

Latest posts

Back