Any help with ID?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently picked up this bike and am just curious as to what it is. A guy at s bike shop said it was a 1949 Streamliner. That unfortunately means very little to me, lol. I am thinking of refinishing it since the paint is in such bad shape. Any help out suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also sorry for like to other form but i am on my phone.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... st15058516

On chainguard ther is a word above the white graphic. It looks like it is C?? t?m? There is also a circle with a > through it. The tank had some VERY faint remnants of stars on it at well.

OK, think I got it. This hopefully will work.

20121218_072231_zps2ffb696c.jpg

20121213_103731_zps1d043207.jpg

20121213_103636-1_zps1eb7a6d9.jpg

20121213_103629_zps2139c361.jpg

20121213_103611-1_zps10605fa5.jpg

Looks like a Ross built bike to me. I had one for my RRBBO bike last year which was a men's frame, badged as "NORWOOD", but with many clues that it was built by Ross (Chain Bike Co, in New York).

The twin top tubes and the snowflake sprocket both point to Ross as the builder. I doubt it's as old as you were told but I don't have any historical information to document the dates of manufacture of those frames.

Good starting point for a project. The chainguard might say "Custom". It also might be from a different bike, or a different year of that style of bike.

Here was mine before I started working on it: ((1960's men's Norwood)

rustrocket.jpg

--Rob

Thanks for the info!! That bike does look very similar. The gear ring has the same shape/pattern and the frame looks very similar. Also the screw point for rear fender and the chrome cap for the fork. My tank has no raised desin in it and the mounts for the fork as also different, mine is a flat nut. Again, thanks for the all the help.

From what I've read, the second and 3rd digits are ther year on Ross/CBC frames. I can't quite make out the 3rd digit, but if it's a 3, that'd make it a 63. -Adam

Yep, it's a 3. So that would make this a 1963 Ross as opposed to a 1949 ?? ? Still cool for me. Should be a fun project. Thanks for all the help identifying. Have been cruising the HOW TO section getting ideas on "how to" and what to as well. If only I had a welder... lol.

JGood said:
Yep, it's a 3. So that would make this a 1963 Ross as opposed to a 1949 ?? ? Still cool for me. Should be a fun project. Thanks for all the help identifying. Have been cruising the HOW TO section getting ideas on "how to" and what to as well. If only I had a welder... lol.
Yes, Ross didn't exist until the mid 50s. -Adam

Here is what I have so far...

Who knew there were so many parts? lol

20121231_114935.jpg

20121230_131700.jpg

Primer drying...

20121230_175842.jpg

Loose fitting

20121230_133800.jpg

20121231_162900.jpg

Been fun so far. Quite a few hrs and cans of primer. I finally got everything dissasembled and primed (except for stem and luggage rack). Now to just decide on a color, respoke the rims, and reassemble for enjoyment!! Even got some new 25" ape hangers to see how they look. Thinking I may go with a banna seat and 36" sissy bar and a laid back seat post to make room for my 6'4" frame on this bike... andy thoughts?

Also here is a little photshop fun to try and decide colors...

ba_2.jpg

The black colored primer is Rustoelum Rust Reformer to try and help with rust prevention. Then wet sanded and used steel wool then Rustoleum High Performance Enamel Primer then more sanding then more primer. Think I have 2 coats of Rust Reformer and 3 of primer at this point. Been using a space heater in the laudry room to speed up drying process... Once I decide on color it will be 2 more coats of color, accent color and 2 of clear coat with wet sanding and steel wool between each coat. So far no drips or blemishes. Just wish I had use Lab Metal to fill in minor surface pitting first although this many coats of paint have helped to hide the pits.

Question - The balls in the bearings on the botton crank have some pitting? Can I replace the balls? Should I replace the bearings or can I just GREASE it up and go? Also other than rechroming the chainring what are some other options? Any paints that will out last normal paint? Trying to do whole project for under $100 (including spokes, nipples, tires and tubes... even trying to save rims).

Any pointers or tips or suggestions are appreciated since this is my first project of this type...

Looks good so far. Go the the bike shop and get some new ball bearings. Buy loose balls and reuse your retainers if they're okay. Make sure the cups aren't all ate up inside either. I like the red paint with the white trim the best. Gary

Here is the newest concept of what end product will look like... (minus flames on chain guard, and all the reds/blacks will match, still working on photoshop skills, lol) Bike will be Ferrari engine compartment paint black with Ferrari red flames (real Ferrari paint!!!!). The black is a matte/flat finish and red is HIGH gloss. Added 2 .50 cal ammo boxes to rack, one will have speakers and other will be storage. Have replaced most hardware and both axles with stainless steel. Will have stainless steel 12g spokes in rear and 14g in front.

Bike_1.jpg

Bike is almost ready to paint. My guy can do it for me next week... :) Should be rideable in the next couple of weeks, SO excited.

Bike is finally painted!! Took WAY longer than I had hoped because the primer I used never fully cured, it stayed tacky and soft. Because of this the bike had to be stripped 2x... ugh. I went ahead and found a powder coater who did it for free, BONUS!! It is now a hammered grey and looks AWESOME!!! Still have to paint accent pieces and flames on bike, and respoke (which i finally go spokes today as well 14g SS in front and 12g SS in back) the rims and get new tires and then I will be ROLLING!! I am SO stoked and it only took 4 months, :D :lol:

Yes, yes that red IS nice. I will get better pics to show color when I get tires. The red is old school Ferrari red. I know a guy who does work in Ferrari's and he was nice enough to paint the red. I still have to paint the back rack, hopefully next week. The red rack will look amazing in my opinion. WhenI get whitewall tires, white grips and a new white seat it will look. very sharp, debating on pedal color...white or red? Lol

Latest posts

Back