Add Nexus 3 Speed to Electra Jeremy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have an Electra Jeremy that I love to ride but want to upgrade to a 3 speed hub. I finally found a good deal on a Nexus 3 speed, so I've got the hub now.

The diameter of the 3 speed hub's flange is slightly higher than the original 1 speed, but am I correct in thinking that I can re-use the original spokes? I am thinking that I can get away with it since the spokes come out at a tangent from the hub flange and not straight out like a radially spoked wheel, so a small increase in hub diameter means a very small difference in spoke length.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

It may work or not. You may need to go from a 3 cross to a 4 cross lacing. No way to tell unless you measure and calculate or trial and error.

Thanks guys. Per the spoke calculators I tried online it looks like the recommended spoke length difference is just under 2 mm. I'm going to a larger hub flange, so I think it might work with the old spokes.

Back