Adaptaptable bikes & accessories.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I had a customer come in asking for training wheels...long story short. They are for a boy with autism who is 5', 140#. Hes bending everything they've tried. Any ideas on heavy duty training wheels or other options for around 20$?
I never did ask what size the bike is, we got too busy taking, as I worked in many autism & behavior specific classrooms.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Hello, I have this set of training wheels that were built for my son many years ago. They are made out of 1/4 x 1 1/2 flat bar. They are very beefy. I think that they were made for a 20" bike, but you could change the wheel size to use on different size bikes. If you think that you can use them, I will send them to you.
001.JPG

002.JPG
003.JPG

Last edited:
The above deal looks pretty sweet if you can make them work.

There are adult size training wheels but the cost is usually a $100+. Fatwheels seems to be one of the more prominent ones and look beefy. http://www.fatwheels.com/Adult-FATWHEELS-s/1845.htm

There is an awesome bike camp, ICanBike, for kids with special needs. It is done for the season and doesn't look to be up in your local, but well worth it. http://icanshine.org/

With trikes, all I see is getting up a good head of steam, cutting the bars and supermaning straight into pavement. Am I wrong?

With trikes, all I see is getting up a good head of steam, cutting the bars and supermaning straight into pavement. Am I wrong?

All depend on the individual and the trike.. .. Some like to go slow, some like speed...Although I'm not sure if there would be any difference in crash tendency with the training wheels. The trike may not be an option in your case, although they are pretty popular in the special needs market. I wouldn't consider a town and country , instead going for a smaller wheel size for lower top speed and lower center of gravity.

I would trust a trike before I trusted training wheels when it comes to crashes. Training wheels tend to lift the center driving wheel when on a bump, so that the rider loses control of the power train.Training wheels are also smaller, so the bike is more likely to tip over on its side than a trike.

I would trust a trike before I trusted training wheels when it comes to crashes. Training wheels tend to lift the center driving wheel when on a bump, so that the rider loses control of the power train.Training wheels are also smaller, so the bike is more likely to tip over on its side than a trike.
I agree. That was my first thought as I was reading this.
However, if the goal is to train him to eventually ride a two wheel bike without the training wheels, then a trike is obviously not the answer.

I don't really know about balance bikes, but some say it's a better way to learn to ride. If his parents were up for that option, you could make one to fit his size by removing the crank and chain on a larger bike and maybe incorporate hand brakes. Either way, I've read that it's important to adjust the saddle so that both feet touch the ground while they are starting out.

Good luck, it's great that you're helping with this and I'm sure that you will find the safest solution.

Back