81 Schwinn Clunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pic's of my 1981 Schwinn i purchased New in San Diego as a kid. It was built new with red anodized BMX parts & Red comp III tires. After riding it for a couple years it got retired to my parents shed & parted out for other bikes over the years. After stumbling onto this website you guys inspired me to breathe life into it.

100_1884.jpg

The red anodized Araya rims were salvagable so they got the flat black puff can paint job with some fresh Wal Mart mountain bike tires. The Tange fork & Old BMX stem got the flat black paint also. The SE LayBack seat post was rusted up pretty good but some elbow grease got it usable again. I was still missing a bunch of parts so i hit the local flee market & found a 180mm GT crankset with bearings, A well used 40t aluminum sprocket, BMX pedals, new BMX handlebars & a used spring seat. I hit the spocket & pedals with the flat black also & put it together.

100_1905.jpg

100_1907.jpg

It rides GREAT & a blast to be on it again after 20+ years. :mrgreen:

mastershake916 said:
So the red anodized rims were in decent shape?

The rims & hubs where in nice shape but the spokes where looking a little tired so i just sprayed them flat black. I like this yellow & black look ALOT more than the original yellow & red..... i guess my taste has changed over the years.

UNDER-PRESSURE said:
mastershake916 said:

The rims & hubs where in nice shape but the spokes where looking a little tired so i just sprayed them flat black. I like this yellow & black look ALOT more than the original yellow & red..... i guess my taste has changed over the years.
That's a shame though, those old anodized parts really were beautiful and worth a fair amount today.

mastershake916 said:
UNDER-PRESSURE said:
mastershake916 said:

That's a shame though, those old anodized parts really were beautiful and worth a fair amount today.

The red anodized parts do have a nice look to them but i needed a change. Resale value really doesn't matter to me as this bike will NEVER be for sale. :wink:

mastershake916 said:

Can't be any worse than a certain someone painting an Electra Rat Fink frame flat black...ha ha! :lol:

I like the black accessories...makes the bike look mean.

Just out of curiosity....how much should the red rims have sold for on Ebay?

Rat Rod said:
mastershake916 said:

Unless they were IMMACULATE, they wouldnt really sell for that much. Most bmx collectors are looking for NOS or close to NOS, cause they use them for show bikes(most bmx collecters look at them, instead of ride them)

I like the bike the way it is, very cool!

The red anodized parts do have a nice look to them but i needed a change. Resale value really doesn't matter to me as this bike will NEVER be for sale. :wink:[/quote]

Amen brotha...people get so caught up in what something may be worth...if it is in your hands and not going any further, then YOU ARE THE END USER and it doesn't matter what it is worth to someone else...and that is the essence of the Rat philosophy...and if it bothers you too much then there are many restoration sites waiting for input, otherwise....Rat-on!

Nice update. Black and yellow are always good.

Do you have a pick of the original bike back in the day?

Rat Rod said:
mastershake916 said:

Can't be any worse than a certain someone painting an Electra Rat Fink frame flat black...ha ha! :lol:

I like the black accessories...makes the bike look mean.

i dont see anything wrong with that! LOLL

very cool bike...

Rad bike dude! Sorry, 80's relapse. But I do really like it, I'm thinking of doing that to my build off bike about 30 seconds after the contest is over. Nice work!

To me, It's all about COMFORT! With the position of that seat and the PERFECT height of the handle bars, you can ride that thing all day! Cool and comfortable, you gottem both. 8)

Latest posts

Back