7 Speed Stick shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Is anyone aware of a 7 speed stick shifter? I think I have seen one in the past but not sure who made it.

Any help would be great.

found the maker but I Think they are no longer building bikes. so now its time to find the shifter.

2796_pd9981.jpg

l.jpg

Most any old school 5 speed friction based shifter should work. Here is the one that I used for Flexy with my Nexus 7 hub. All I had to do was to remove the rear detent tab to allow more cable travel.

aIMG_8010.jpg

Firebikes is still around check his site HERE
or facebook page HERE
I think your boys from Projekt 346 also did shift handle conversions also.
Pretty sure anything that will fit a 3 speed twist shift(I'm assuming since you didn't say what you were using it on!) will work on a 7. It will just have a much longer throw.

sensor said:
Firebikes is still around check his site HERE
or facebook page HERE
I think your boys from Projekt 346 also did shift handle conversions also.
Pretty sure anything that will fit a 3 speed twist shift(I'm assuming since you didn't say what you were using it on!) will work on a 7. It will just have a much longer throw.

I think this was the last post on their facebook.

FIREBIKES UPDATE NOVEMBER 2012
the curtain is closed for firebikes, im going to keep the web page up still but may change it up, if i find someone to help me with it. ..id love for someone to keep it going build the frames use the name,but be involved a little bit. anyone interested in the idea call me..
ill build myself a killer bike frame or two im sure but have no plans for anything else ser
ious . i have a few frames done in stock( MORGITITION, FLIUD,FBR,WARRIOR) and some half done which ill finish up so they are available this summer.this is the last batch of firebikes..
im blowing ALL the parts out.. but not my frames.... unsure of what next.. cars probably.. but ill be still rolling around on cruises ect...

thx for your support and see ya on the road somewhere again im sure...sam mckay

chopperdome was on of their distributor in europe but they do not have any of the shifters just looked at what they have.

I think like king mentioned its going to have to be a friction based shifter. The 346 shifter will not work because it has set points for a 3 speed.

Okay. Last I heard a few weeks ago was Sam was still building but that was just hear-say. :|
You could get one of those shifty B@**ard sticks. He still is around last I heard. They will work(going on what a Swede said when he used one on his 7 speed nexus) just has a long throw so account for that when mounting. I'm sure you can guess what the @*** is if not pm me and I'll shoot you the link. I just don't want to get banned for using what may or mayn't be profanity.

For reference, the throw on my shifter is probably about 100 degrees for it to work with my Nexus 7.

Yeah I knew there was a shifter with something profane in the name. I zapped it a few times. It was
a nice shifter. The search probably won't work on that name though.

Paul that was just an add on for a Nexus 3speed. Might work on a 7spd too. http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=121.0

The Nexus hubs require getting the shift points just right, that is why they don't use a friction shift. That is why you adjust/line up the red or yellow marks back on the hub, so you don't do damage. I am using a friction shift on a Nexus 3 with no problems, as I know the exact position for 2nd gear. Running friction will probably be okay but you may encounter a shortened hub life.

MIGZ said:
found the maker but I Think they are no longer building bikes. so now its time to find the shifter.

l.jpg

Firebikes made those billet shifters about 6 + years ago, they cost about $300 or more. Very limited production from what I recall. I remember them from the old Chopperbicycle.net days. will be tough finding one after all these years. they had ball detants and fixed points for each gear, amazing!

i've seen that photo of the three shifters somewere before.

Dorian said:
MIGZ said:

l.jpg

Firebikes made those billet shifters about 6 + years ago, they cost about $300 or more. Very limited production from what I recall. I remember them from the old Chopperbicycle.net days. will be tough finding one after all these years. they had ball detants and fixed points for each gear, amazing!

i've seen that photo of the three shifters somewere before.

Thanks for the info, I may have to search for a bit but I'm sure that there is one out there. I have to stay positive.

cman said:
Paul that was just an add on for a Nexus 3speed. Might work on a 7spd too. http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=121.0

The Nexus hubs require getting the shift points just right, that is why they don't use a friction shift. That is why you adjust/line up the red or yellow marks back on the hub, so you don't do damage. I am using a friction shift on a Nexus 3 with no problems, as I know the exact position for 2nd gear. Running friction will probably be okay but you may encounter a shortened hub life.

that would work but i don't want to keep the original shifter.

If you have a grip shifter for it, they can be converted to stick shift easily. Plenty of examples on this site.

I'm hoping to check one of these out this week for my Basman. You've probably seen the banner ads on the site as they are a sponsor. These shifters are made local to me. I'll take some pictures with the bike. I ordered an 8-speed Nexus from the Electra warehouse sale but waiting for confirmation.

http://boxkars.com/blog/parts/

boxkars_shifter.jpg

I met up with the maker of the Boxkars shifter and I'm going to get one for my Basman. Super high quality build and design. I thought I would have to wait until I was sure I'm getting the Nexus 8-speed hub but he designed them to be convertible between 3, 7 and 8 speeds (for the Shimano hubs at least). I already have a 7-speed hub in case the 8 doesn't happen.

I should get it this coming week, he just needs to make a bracket to fit my bike as I'm going to mount it to the down tube. Pictures to follow.

Back