'46 Schwinn DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a real dream come true for me, I think it may be proof that manifest destiny works, all day I dream about pre-1950's bikes, usually Schwinns, and a DX was always what I thought, if I could get something (within reason) I would.
The maroon and cream paint is in tact and coming out from under the shell of orange spray paint. It's going to get a Rocket Ray headlight, horn and headbadge, but other than that, once the original paint is out, it's done.
46dx003.jpg

46dx002.jpg

46dx001.jpg

Thats absolutely awesome, congrats on the new bike.

Simple question, what is that boys bike thats upside down on your shelf with the red tire on the back of it?...I think im in love :)

l_77801f5108b3b37ebb2e624bdc56cf5f.jpg

It's some sort of Cleveland Welding pre-war, I believe badged at one time as a Western Flyer. It's a great bike.

ya,sure is a nice bike, im pretty much broke though so if you wanted to sell it I couldnt help ya. Its a beautiful bike, and thanks so much for the picture!

P.s. Still lovin that DX!!!!!

DX is cool. take the grips off the other bike to match :lol:
How will you remove the creamsicle paint to reveal the original?

cman said:
DX is cool. take the grips off the other bike to match :lol:
How will you remove the creamsicle paint to reveal the original?
I have been using a spray-on automotive stripper, letting it sit just long enough to get the rattle can coat to blister up, then wiping it off. It's working really well.

musclebikes said:
ya,sure is a nice bike, im pretty much broke though so if you wanted to sell it I couldnt help ya. Its a beautiful bike, and thanks so much for the picture!

P.s. Still lovin that DX!!!!!

No problem, didn't want to sell it - thanks! 8)

How do you know its a '46? I have one just like yours but I am not sure what year it is...I know its post-war cuz of the drop-out...and it doesnt have a kickstand...and has the single bar not the two like on cantilever frames....

OldSkoolD said:
How do you know its a '46? I have one just like yours but I am not sure what year it is...I know its post-war cuz of the drop-out...and it doesnt have a kickstand...and has the single bar not the two like on cantilever frames....

Honestly, I don't know. The previous owner I am guessing pulled the crank, but on something that's obviously been taken apart before, who knows? The single bar frame style won't help identify the year much, but if you think your bike is original, pull out the crank and the year might be stamped on it. It would say "AS 46" but the pre-48's are hard to figure out as I understand. I'm sure somebody will chime in on this if I'm mistaken.

The other indicator on mine are the drop center wheels, which I am assuming are original to the bike.

it was a bare frame when I got it...I added S-7's with 26X2X2 Kenda's, NOS Wald fenders, forks I bought off another collector here in Riverside, crank was found in my FIL's junk pile, pedals and grips and bearings and headset taken off a '76 Suburban...I am looking for a Brooks saddle but its fitted right now with a 70's Mesinger seat....oh and when I bought the frame I also picked up an NOS repop Phantom CG....I need to post some pics! lol I also put some Schwinn stickers on it...I picked them up at the LBS...the stickers are vinyl...I wanted to give it a DX look but I just opted for the Schwinn stickers...I got two sheets full of white, black and red stickers...all the different Schwinn fonts....

Progress as of Sunday the 6th (with three other active projects going on, this one is more, spray, wait, wipe, inbetween the others)
1708projects006.jpg

I think it's beautiful, post more pics, and have fun riding it when it's done, that things going to be a head turner.

not trying to advocate laziness or anything, but i think it would look awesome with the paint left how you had it with some of the original showing and some covered :p

Joshua85 said:
not trying to advocate laziness or anything, but i think it would look awesome with the paint left how you had it with some of the original showing and some covered :p

I could see that working, but not on this one. The orange is horrid and I like orange. :wink:

Back