3G tire question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking for thoughts / opinions on using the 3G Boa tires. Specifically, since Surly Nates are $150 each for the 120 tpi casing version, I'm considering alternates to use in the summer on bike paths and around town, so as to save Nate from excessive wear. The 3G tires are a little narrower at 3.45" (as opposed to 3.8"), but I don't see an issue with that. The question comes down to whether or not there would be any complication running them on my Pug's Rolling Darryl rims, which are 82 mm wide. The rims 3G normally mounts their tires on are 52 mm wide, IIRC, and the 30 mm difference isn't insignificant. I'm guessing that they'll run a bit wider and smaller in diameter than typical. The 82 mm rim is still slightly narrower than the width spec of the tire, so it probably isn't going to have to stretch onto the bead, but I don't know. Has anyone tried it?

You could also run the Sunlite Crusher tires. They are 3.50" wide.

http://store.qbike.com/origin8-tires-sunlt-26x3-5-bk-bk-wire-wh-stripe.html

Here's how they looked on my Mongoose Beast.

primerbeast4.jpg

I traded for a spare beastie wheel and was thinking about putting BOAs on is and just came across that webpage a couple of days ago. Good luck with your new toy.

Back