>> '35 Columbia Superb - Sat Sept 12 UPDATE<<

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >> '22 Columbia Superb - Takes Shape<<

Never thought of that. I know they had scrap metal drives to support the war effort. i wonder how many people were actually willing to give up an old bike with the gas rationing going on? Seems it should have been cheaper to get a couple of tires and tubes. Gonna talk to the elders and find out what they remember.

Thanks for the good point.

joe

deorman said:
Q. How many 20's and 30's bicycles were collected in WW2 scrap drives?

A.Way too many. :(

I had to loudly applaud my LBS mechanic. He is a rat rodder/Chopper builder/All aorund good guy. i brought him the fork from this bike which had apparently hit a wall hard enough to set the legs back about an inch and sideways about 1/2 and inch along with a nic bend in the headtube. An hour of effort and the RIGHT tools later and i think the result is perfect. You could never tell it had been bent. 3 hours of cleaning and sanding and scrubbubbing and cleaning and truing and the front wheel spins forever. Neck was lightly polished, ot os a Torrington model that is made of aluminum. Badge was cleaned and I will fill in the letters with flat black enamel. Upon inspecting the bottom of the fork while cleaning it I noticed that it was stamped B-5. Phil correct me if I am wrong but I believe that this means it was built February 1935.

PT3a.jpg

PT3b.jpg

PT3c.jpg

PT3d.jpg

Back