>> '35 Columbia Superb - Sat Sept 12 UPDATE<<

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
I couldn't find my original post, so don't bash me, LOL Here is the update. Wheel was cleaned and spokes and rim was SOS padded down. Guts were spent so replaced with an NOS set of ND brake discs. This is one of the earliest Columbia bikes to use the wide chain 1/2 inch pitch chain. The serial is N##### which dates it to 1922.

Dan - I need some fenders - Got any?

Enjoy the pics. Updates soon

Joe

22pt2a.jpg

22pt2b.jpg

22pt2c.jpg

22pt2d.jpg

22pt2e.jpg

22pt2f.jpg

22pt2g.jpg

Re: >> '22 Columbia Superb - Takes Shape<<

not only old,its really clean too! :shock: thats a nice lil piece of history you got there. with your sweet parts stash,it should look awesome! :mrgreen:

mmm Goodyear Speedways....

Wow, that's a clean, nice looking bike! Super cool, can't wait to see it done...

No, I don't think I have any for that bike. However, if by some shear stroke of luck, I was able to find a set that fit that bike, I'm sure they would be worth far more than I would have to pay for them. :p Esp if I was able to find some that were stainless steel with blue pin stripes.

We'll talk brother.
Dan

Not sure I like the blue pinstripe. You might them with a green pinstripe to match the bike??? :wink:

Joe

Danimal said:

No, I don't think I have any for that bike. However, if by some shear stroke of luck, I was able to find a set that fit that bike, I'm sure they would be worth far more than I would have to pay for them. :p Esp if I was able to find some that were stainless steel with blue pin stripes.

We'll talk brother.
Dan

Awesome! Love those early westfield guards. And did you modify that seat? Looks really set back. But in a good way! ~Adam

The seat post is flipped around, but other than that it is stock. I did move the mount under the seat as far forward as it would go to place the seat as far back as i could. The seatpost is only about 5 inches long so not much height I can get on it.

Joe

I love it! I'm certainly no expert with the really old stuff, but this looks right, that's for sure.

what's the story with the Rhyno Lite wheel with the huge hub I see in the background?

Hi Joe,

The 1922 date (based on info from the MrColumbia site?) is incorrect. The bike is actually from 1935. Westfield ran through serial letters several times. N is appropriate for 1922 but was used again in 1935 and later in 1950, 1964 and 1965.

The N serial number stamped on your bike’s bottom bracket equates to 1935. M/1934 and N/1935 serial numbers precede the A/1936 serial numbers that are listed on the MrColumbia site. The 1935 date for the bike is also appropriate for that chain guard which was first introduced in that year.

For more reference Dave Stromberger has scans of a complete 1934 catalog on his site which shows a similar bike to the one you have.

http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/ScannedLit ... ?start=100

On the subject of Westfield serial numbers and in regard to the MrColumbia site:

The information on the MrColumbia site is a very good reference and clears up some inaccurate information posted elsewhere on the internet (especially regarding some mid-fifties numbers)

There are a couple of areas though, that still need more research

Kenneth Kowel notes that Westfield stamped the model number on the badge until 1924 and then dropped the practice. The information on his site picks up again in 1936 with the serial numbers stamped in the bottom bracket beginning with the letter “A”.

The hole in the information available/provided is regarding Westfield built bicycles constructed between 1925 and 1935 for which no badge model numbers or bottom bracket serial numbers are listed.

From my research the bottom brackets were stamped with the serial numbers “M” for 1934, and “N” for 1935. I would speculate that bottom bracket serial numbers were used throughout the twenties and my guess is that they would mirror the badge model numbers perhaps with the model/calendar shift of one letter noted by Mr. Kowal.

That being the case the likely progression would be:

A=1923, B=1924, C=1925, D=1926, E=1927, F=1928, G=1929, H=1930,
J=1931, K=1932, L=1933, M=1934, and N=1935. This progression leaves out “I” which is usually skipped for it’s resemblance to a 1 and returns to "A" before moving to “O” which resembles a zero.

I haven’t examined bikes earlier than 1934 to check this progression but it is a speculative start for determining the year of pre-balloon Westfield built Elgins and other Westfield built motobikes.

The other issue that comes up is Mr. Kowels explanation of the double serial numbers found on many 1930’s Westfield built bicycles. He explains that the second letter is one letter higher than the one preceding the serial number, and represents the model year as opposed to the calendar year. I have found that often the second letter is two higher than the leading serial letter but I don’t have an explanation for this phenomenon.

While this is more information than is necessary, I hope that posting it here will lead to more data being collected to clear up the gray areas in dating Westfield products

^^Thank for registering and posting regularly on this site. Your histories are superb.

Well Phil you certainly burst my "oldest bike in my fleet" bubble, but thats OK. It explains why the original wheels for this bike were triple steps. I do not think they were around in 1922 :shock: This information is very important since the MRCOLUMBIA site has been hailed as the be it all, know it all site for that stuff. Your specculative knowledge leads to another question about Columbia/Westfield bike from that time, Why do so few of them survive? Were they ridden hard and discarded? They see to be very well made, similar in quality to Schwinn - thoughthe abscence of a blade fork would have caused quite a few bent forks, which this bike has. I would suspect they were a price leader and were easily replaceable given the quantity produced.

Things to ponder...

Joe

yeshoney said:
They see to be very well made, similar in quality to Schwinn -

Now everybody knows I'm no Schwinn fan ,but you see very few of them from the mid 30's that have bent forks and the welds coming loose from anywhere. I think you answered your own question. I don't think the quality was up there with Schwinn for the same time period. I think they were all having a hard time out doing a DX or a Straight bar frame. :roll:

Justr to set the record straight - there are no broken weld joints or anything that seems to be broken. This is a butt joint that has had the brazing ooze out and it appears to never have been smoothed. In other words it has a tube inside of a tube and is then brazed. Very solid and not likely to break at the joint.

Joe

Uncle Stretch said:
yeshoney said:
They see to be very well made, similar in quality to Schwinn -

Now everybody knows I'm no Schwinn fan ,but you see very few of them from the mid 30's that have bent forks and the welds coming loose from anywhere. I think you answered your own question. I don't think the quality was up there with Schwinn for the same time period. I think they were all having a hard time out doing a DX or a Straight bar frame. :roll:

i know how theyre put together.....im just saying that that is exactly how it looked on my zep frame(and no it wasnt the tubes.....it was the brazing that had cracked)........looks like its nothing.....till the paint comes off
but whatever.........its not mine and im not riding it :|

Sensor,

I don't want to get into an argument over it. You are looking at a picture, a bad one at that, and making a comment that is just plain incorrect. I inspected it carefully when I bought the bike and would not have sunk the money into it if it wasn't in one piece. In either case though, running a stream of brass braze on a joint to fill a crack on a butt joint is aobut as easy as putting icing on a cupcake. Propane torch and brass rod - clean the joint and go.

Trust me, my 200 plus pounds on a bike with no middle bar. Better to be safe than sorry!

Joe

sensor said:
i know how theyre put together.....im just saying that that is exactly how it looked on my zep frame(and no it wasnt the tubes.....it was the brazing that had cracked)........looks like its nothing.....till the paint comes off
but whatever.........its not mine and im not riding it :|

Back