2008 projects

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you guys have in mind for 2008, but although winter is in full swing and I'm mostly busy with my other hobbies, I am preparing some projects for the upcoming new year. I want to convert one of my Chief cruiser to electric assist and I also want to rat out a mountain bike. Cruisers are fun, but once and a while it's fun to have multiple gears and working V-brakes on both wheels. I'll be using the frame from my first Mountain Bike for this project. It won't stay red, going for a tank plate and white walls or all white or cream tires with ape hangers. I'll even keep the suspension fork to make things interesting. Anybody else have plans?

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

I always have project bikes going just not sure which one will be first, 73 stingray 77 scrambler ,tandem haven't even checked the year
and a chrome murray fleetwood ladies light weight and there is always a pile of bmx and mountain bikes needing repaired and donated
back to the community...too many bikes..not enough time :mrgreen:

Sounds good. I think my '08 project is a early 70's Hercules 3 spd cruiser. Here's the bike I just finished this summer. It's a Cannondale killer frame, was going to make a fixie, but wimped out and went with a 7 speed freewheel. Only use the big front sprocket. Tried to stay minimalist as I could. I may pair it down some more, get rid of the other front sprocket, lose the front brakes and climbing bars. This is my idea of a townie!
100_6333.jpg

100_6334.jpg

This bike is a dream to ride, for me anyway

i'm gonna be working on 2 things this winter
1- building my downhill bike
2- electric assit my ratfink and probably a relook of the ratfink at the same time, (24" rear wheel and bigger tire, not sure for the front yet, maybe newpaintjob).that bike is evolutive!

Marinwildcat.jpg

xddorox, aren't you going to finish the recumbent? :wink:

I have an extreme-rod cruiser all figured out in my head, just have to start chopping and welding. I would show you a drawing, but then I'd have to kill you. :) Sooooooo... That no-holds barred build off, that's gonna come soon, right? RIGHT? RIGHT?

Hugo

I have to finish this 20" chopper I started long ago out of exhaust tubing and an old swing set. Have to move the bottom bracket out more now.. my son is about a foot and a half taller than back then. :shock:
P0002018_small.jpg

Then it's back on my 69 Mustang... gotta get it on the road.
-Stephen

I gotta finish the PeeWee Herman re-creation bike.

And I want to find a 20" boys Stingray and find a road bike to build a fixie...

Yes Hugo, the recumbent is in the cards as well. I still have a post in reserve that I have to put up this week. I have to kick myself in the butt and do it. It will cover the handlebars. The post after that is the seat and I haven't figured that one out totally yet. So it might be a while before the next one after that. Don't worry, the squishy homebuilt recumbent is not dead.

I'm wraping up my BBO2 now (please don't laugh!) and then it's a "Hammer head" 3-wheel'd MTB that's in Atomic Zomie's book. I've got all the stuff minus 3 head tubes that match, gonna be military green and I'm going 3sp ISO the derailer junk I hate. Then it's a rebuild of my '68 Hercules, br549, let's have a pic! Mine is red and white, shift-grip and gen-headlight. BTW, isn't br549 the licence plate # on the bluesmobile? Seem to remember that on that '74 Dodge!

cafe racer / bonneville / rocketeer inspired beasty i have in mind
i shall name it project "SST"

plus i gotta fix up my dads roadie and my mt. katahdan MTB

oh plus my friends lookin for old skis for a possible ski bike rampage this winter

Lets see, where do I start?

I've got a 67 Schwinn Fastback, light blue, that's getting a total resto from a basket case.

I've got a '69 Fastback that's been in bare-metal for half a year, just a frame, gonna be an orange 5-speed when it's all done. I've got a black 66 and a green '71, plus this blue '67, and my friend has a black '66 (that I built), a blue '70 and a yellow '71... so orange will be a good contrast. All my Fastbacks might end up getting sold, too, since I've been kind of moving away from them and more towards Deluxe Stingrays.

Speaking of which, my 66 copper deluxe needs a new rear tire installed, have it but haven't gotten around to that yet. My 65 coppertone Collegiate needs a complete going-over and probably one new tire at least.

My red 72 Stingray is getting new decals, the old silkscreens are all but gone. It's my first Stingray, so it's a keeper.

The green 68 Stingray needs to come apart and have some fender issues fixed, and the scrapey-tick-tick noises in the hub looked at.

The Columbia Playbike is going up for sale, with or without the new chainguard I got for it. A parts bike (Columbia Scamp convertible, that I stole the tank from) will go with it for another $10. Nobody wants Columbias it seems.

This 77 Fairlady Ive got needs a thorough cleaning, need to spend a good long day on that one to make it beautiful again. A very nice complete bike now, built from two I got for $10 each at a swap meet, plus a seat I already had.

Speaking of seats, I've got a white tufted seat for my 66 that is sun-poisoned , and a Pete's (or similar) rebuild kit. I've never split a banana seat pan so that rebuild will be a fun adventure. Any tips anyone?

Also speaking of seats, I found this wicked cool banana seat in a parts pile, down at the bottom of a box. It was filthy but cleaned up to "amazing". It's a light green, made by Persons exactly like a Stingray seat but gold glitter, and no riveted tag. Dunno what it fits. Anyone interested?
http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... nseat2.jpg
http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... nseat1.jpg

Yeah and I've got my VW bus STILL torn apart in my friend's garage. Look in the background of some of the RRBB0 welding pics and you'll see it. It's white and the nose is all gutted out at the moment. I've got to finish welding on the inner bumper panel, install the new lower nose panel, finish cutting away all the upper panel rust under the windshield, and transplant a new panel into the nose/dash/windhield frame area. Little stuff. When that's done (it's been down a year but nothing was done on it for a couple months) I'll have a bike hauler again. Hopefully there won't be any issues sanding the whole thing down and respraying it Montana Red as oriignal.

Then I've got to replace shifters on my wife's GT mountain bike, disassemble and lube the bottom bracket on my ancient Trek mountain bike, get her Trek 600 road bike back up to speed, and swap bars for a friend's Trek so he can sell it. Trade, actually, for a Typhoon type of Schwinn.

Back to you!

--Rob

Man do I love this site! I didn't think anyone would be interested in a rat rod mountain bike. Well it will be more of a hot rod looking than rat rod looking but same difference. I completely trashed my knee at work earlier this year (still not working!) and decided it probably would be a good idea not to do big drops, jumps, or other things on a DH bike that can blow joints apart. So I started pulling apart my Intense and found a 1999 Marzocchi Z-1 for it and started polishing everything. The frame will stay red and I have the rear shiny like chrome, now I just have to do the wheels, bars, stem, seat post mount and a whole lot more. This is the staring point:

bikes014.jpg

Latest posts

Back