1980 Schwinn Cruiser Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3960.JPG
Had a good night, got a lot done. Swapped out the newly chromed S&M bars on the yellow Schwinn Cruiser, tweaked on my daughters Electra, and got a lot done on the blue Schwinn. This bike must have sat outside, inside of steer tube really rusty, fortunately the stem cam out easy. I used my seat post tube sander/polisher doohickey to sand away the rust, used a little Water Displacement formula 40 (aka WD40) while sanding at the same time. Cleaned up good. Also removed rust from outside of steer tube and threads.

Last edited:
IMG_3961.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3966.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG
Waxed the frame and fork, polished the fork races, installed forks and the Cebe stem, installed crank and sprocket. Sprocket is a Sugino Snowflake 40 tooth, cranks arms are restored Ashtabula, and decided to go ahead and replace bearing cups and all hardware with some stuff I had new cadium done on.

Last edited:
110 psi! Must be rock hard. They look great on there. Beefy.

I aired my Typhoon cords up to 60psi and they were ready to pop but could fly on the smooth bike path. On the regular street it was a bumpy ride.

28hkgtf - Copy.jpg

110 psi! Must be rock hard. They look great on there. Beefy.

I aired my Typhoon cords up to 60psi and they were ready to pop but could fly on the smooth bike path. On the regular street it was a bumpy ride.

View attachment 63356
Great looking bike, what is it? The copper wheels look great up against the red. Yeah, be interesting to see how it rides for sure!

A few pics of where it's at right now. I still need to put on the KKT chrome rat traps, need to swap out the shafts from 9/16 to 1/2". Going to trim bars about 1 1/2" per side, and install chain guard. Still need to clean up the seat, and eventually make a layback seat post. Still deciding if I want to keep the blade forks or put the chrome Tange forks on. Oh, and Oury Grips should be here today.
IMG_3977.JPG
IMG_3980.JPG
IMG_3981.JPG
IMG_3982.JPG

Back