1980 Schwinn Cruiser Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked this up awhile back, all original 1980 Schwinn Cruiser. Overall decent shape, looks like someone had a chain wrapped around the head tube, pretty much destroyed the paint and a little bit of the surrounding areas. This is going to be a basic rebuild, changing out the whitewalls, taking off reflectors, and swapping out the stem and bars, and probably smaller sprocket. The goal, at this point, is to basically keep it looking somewhat factory, with just a few upgrades to make a sweat rider. Since my Son won't let the yellow one go we did a few weeks back, I guess this one will be mine! The bike has been sitting in the garage for awhile. A few Saturdays ago my son said lets take the cruisers down to our fishing spot for a ride, all I can say is when we got back was this is a POS! The chain was pulled so tight it was compensating for the fact the rear hub was extremely loose, then I noticed the front rim wouldn't spin unless I forced it to while pedaling, bearings were so over tightened, then the crank arms were squeaking as the somewhat went through their cycle, tore apart to fine pretty much null in the grease department. So I'm on a mission to make this a great cruiser once again.
IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_3913.JPG
IMG_3914.JPG
IMG_3915.JPG

You could let whatever bars you have decide which stem...but, depending how tall you are, reach might be more of a concern since the Schwinn cockpit can be a bit cramped. The double stem doesn't appear to have much of any reach.

Jason

Yes, I agree, the Cebe looks cool, but the Redline has about the same reach/extension as the Ashtabula. Plus it will add a little more black to match a few other small bits. The bars don't have much pull back, do that will help with getting the arms stretched out.

Looks good! I'd go with big BMX bars with either of those stems. I did that with my 80 Typhoon, same frame and color as yours, it made the ride much better. This isn't mine, but shows all the elbow room that will give.

19050439_1323959880973156_6329967498569449472_n.jpg

Based on previous builds, I'm pumped to see where this lands! I really like the cebe stem, but if you leave the bladed forks, I think the redline might look sleeker. I like the og paint, hoping it stays

The S&M bars are unknurled? If you are going with a moto bar, I would use the double clamp assuming the bars are unknurled, or double knurled. More MX / klunker consistent. If you were using bmx bars, then the redline stem.

Jason

Maybe polish inside of bearing cups with a scotch brite pad or steel wool before assembly.

Hey Dizzle, yes, OG blue paint is staying!
Good choice on keeping the blue! I found the pic of mine, all the big paint scrapes are on the other side. I prefer wider bars, but that's what I had then. I sold it to a Navy female who had to have it.
2zso5g3.jpg

Good choice on keeping the blue! I found the pic of mine, all the big paint scrapes are on the other side. I prefer wider bars, but that's what I had then. I sold it to a Navy female who had to have it.
2zso5g3.jpg
I remember seeing this pic on another thread, it caught my attention! I like it!

Here are the tires I'm running, S&M Speedball 26 x 2.4 110 PSI. I actually received the tires a few days ago, these are really well built tires. I mounted on both front and rear rims, they fit the frame and blade forks, rub a little on the chain guard, I'll add some spacers to fix that. Tell you what, 110 PSI will help the ride immensely, especially my 220 lb. greek god like physique!
SandM_speedball24_a-980x551.jpg

Latest posts

Back