1980 Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had pretty much the same bike once, honestly i thought someone had tried to glue the wrong size tires on it !!! put new skins on and sold it, but it was one smooth riding bike.

dig the lime green !!!

IMG_0916.jpg

We went on our first cruise last night! :D The bike is just about done. Probably gonna get a front basket and maybe a horn... accessorize.

F-1.jpg

I replaced the cotter pin/adjustable cup bottom bracket with one of these newfangledy types. I had to track down a discontinued shimano BB and get Phil Woods mounting rings for it to work. Phil Woods is the only company that makes the right size thread for these old Raleighs (26tpi).
F-2.jpg

Ended up calling this The Robin. (It is a Sport)
F-3.jpg

F-4.jpg

F-5.jpg

All this blue is hand painted using 1-Shot lettering paint.
F-6.jpg

very cool paint scheme. yellow and green makes that bike look small :) Fenders are looking strong and the chainguard is like a touch of childiness on that serious bike. nice work :)

Re: 1980 Raleigh: rotten rear brake

We've been out for a few kroozes now and the bike is doing OK. I'm having an issue with the rear brake--it has a tendency to come to a sudden halt. Which is pretty surprising--not that there is a loose end that I can't fix, but the suddenness of the stopping. I'm not sure if I just can't get the brake adjusted properly or if it's because the wheel is bent and warped (it tends to come to a sudden halt at the dent). So, I'm thinking new wheel--smoother ride and hopefully no more brake problems.

Well after moving and being too darn busy with work I sat down last weekend to rebuild the rear wheel with a new rim I bought maybe 4 months ago. As with most of my projects a fiasco ensued. The new rim has sunken holes for the spokes which means that despite being the same size, they require different spokes. This made my plan way more expensive. I found that I was able to order an entire new Nexus 3 wheel for less than the price of new spokes and nipples! So waiting for that to come in the mail. Then it'll hopefully all work out and we can cruise in a couple months when the weather gets bike friendly. (Although I'm crazy enough to bike year round--just can't get her to join me).

Anybody need an 26" EA3 rim? or a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub?

Thats a nice Sports I'm a big fan of the Raleigh Sports. I own many. none with a chain guard like that though. nice bike!

Back