1980 Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I finish up with the detail work on my Corvette I'm starting a bike for my wife.

Raliegh_before1.jpg

I'm gonna turn this brown cruiser into a green machine.

Raliegh_before2.jpg

Raliegh_before3.jpg

The bike is really in great shape with the exception of some heavy-duty tire rot -- it's like they melted to the rim! It's gonna take some elbow grease to get rid of the left over tire on the wheels:

tirerot.jpg

This was a garbage pile find while out walking my dog last summer. I really like how upright you sit on this bike. Should be fun to ride...

bubwalk.jpg

(english pointer finds english cruiser)

Nice looking bike! I kinda' like the brown. That Raleigh paint is GOOD stuff!

About a week into painting because it's not going too smooth. I s'pose I'm better at the worn out look. I don't really have a great space for painting bikes--wind came along and blew everything over while the paint was wet--start over--then the paint started bubbling up--sand it down, start over. Hopefully I'll get to the pinstriping soon...

painting_day5ish.jpg

I've got one of the wheels cleaned up now--it cleaned up real well too, which was a nice break from this paint job. Took the tape off today and there's a bunch of work ahead. So now I am deciding between touching up the spray paint by hand then pinstriping or distressing the entire finish and pinstriping (which will be a nice robin's egg blue). :?:

painting_daytapeoff.jpg

I've spent the past two mornings painting on the porch with my buddy.
painting_buck.jpg

In my illustration work I tend to be pretty gestural, which really isn't working for me when it comes to pinstriping. You'll notice the fenders in the background are dark green and light green. The robin's egg blue stripe turned into a blue fender with light green lines... :oops: thankfully the blue is real purty and it looks good.

So I've been trying to make it all work and play to my strengths. I'm pretty happy with it at this point. This weekend I'll give it a clear coat and then I can reassemble. It's been a real challenge makin' this look shiny, because making things worn out is what I'm good at.

Re: 1980? Raleigh

The bike that didn't want to be built:

E.A.3! gahhh. :x I thought 26" wheels that actually aren't 26" wheels was limited to Schwinns, but I guess you learn something new from time to time... time to special order some tires.

I have decided that bikes with cotter pins aren't around any more is because they are really annoying. So I'm switching this out. And magically all the parts from all the various places I ordered them from arrived today! wow.

magically.jpg

And like a numbskull I ordered the wrong size chainwheel and need a new wrench for the phil woods mounting rings. :|

sprucemoose said:
I have decided that bikes with cotter pins aren't around any more is because they are really annoying. :|
It couldn't be said more politely. Especially with coaster bikes. :x

Back