1941 Firestone Cruiser Done 5/22

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser 2 Tone Update 2/15

wow that is a killer bike, the tank is crazy. here is an old painter/striper trip find an older cheap metal compass that holds a pencil. hook the needle tip to a side and make it a u shape and then put one more little bend to act as an edge finder (i use needle nose and grip it on the compass side of the needle so it dosent break the stamping open, the second bend is only a crease to act as a seat), use a stabilo pencil to scribe your line to tape the edges out. you use the 2 edges and the "seat" of the u as a guide and it will stay equal distant from the edge and its adjustable. thats how i mark out HD 2 tones... id cheat tho and start with top tone, then mark for trim then edge color, itll help so the paint edges dont load up w color cause your using such different tones.id say do th spear/ pointy tips lats so you could cheat measurements of the tone split so it stays centered.
good luck, its going to be a beauty..
carry on..

ps about every home or office i have ever visited seems to have at least one of those compasses in the junk or office drawer.. its mandatory i think.

Beautiful work thus far! 8)

Wow, nice painting skills! :wink:

Thanks guys. I started fiddling with the headlight tonight as well. gutted a (broken) led flashlight for the important stuff. fitting it into the light will require welding some new brackets since on the original lights the bulb socket is also the reflector retainer. I'll want to mount the led's in the middle so I need to gut the light, possibly make a new lense to support the led pack with an offset mounting bracket.

my artist wife has chimed in with respect to the other color, I'll be making a trip to Lowes or Home Depot over the weekend to find a complimentary color to work with the green & creme.

pholTmonx, thanks for the tips on the stripes, I think I follow what you are describing. it's tough laying down the striping tape over a radius and at an angle at the same time but I have to remember not to rush it.

Hoping to wrap this up in a couple of weeks as I have another project coming down the pike.

Sometimes you just have to go for it so I laid down a double row of the 1/4" pinstriping tape and masked off the portions to be red (or something). Shot the green on the front fender this AM. the remaining blue tape will be the edge of the other color

Firestonepaint012_zps9a9ca470.jpg

Firestonepaint013_zps3f70c12a.jpg

Firestonepaint015_zps385d99c5.jpg

Firestonepaint014_zps17aa938f.jpg

maybe a rasberry red might really pop against the green?

Walker said:
maybe a rasberry red might really pop against the green?
Something red might look really good, raspberry or slightly deeper maybe?

Luke.

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser RASBERRY! 2/17

Swung by Lowes after work today and picked up the closest thing to Rasberry they had. It's Valspar so I hope it doesn't disagree with the Rustoleum I've been using so far. Also bought some silver for the fender braces and other bits.

Feb17027_zps51a200b2.jpg

Here goes Nothing!

Feb17028_zps12f1ae01.jpg

I'll be pulling off the tape soon, more later :D

I need to remember to get all the little screws, nuts and bolts at the hardware store where I can get chrome

Can't wait to see it with the tape off :wink:

First 1/4" mask on the rear fender
FirestoneRaspberry005_zps225766dc.jpg

Trimming the point on the rear fender stripe while the painting tent warms up.
FirestoneRaspberry006_zpsdf384515.jpg

Back from the moderately warm tent, the wind was blowing all the heat out, looks like the paint fared ok though
FirestoneRaspberry008_zpsd51b050f.jpg

FirestoneRaspberry007_zps508db7e2.jpg

FirestoneRaspberry009_zps356e7885.jpg

FirestoneRaspberry009_zps356e7885.jpg

Here we go!
Firestonepaint217pm006_zpse68f3005.jpg

Firestonepaint217pm001_zps1342b9fa.jpg

Now for the fenders...deep breath...
Firestonepaint217pm016_zps6f6b6787.jpg

Firestonepaint217pm015_zpsa18dcbcd.jpg

So with respect to paint, now I need to put the green on the rear fender, start the rack and finish the fork, fender braces, dropstand and a few minor bits.. I'm feeling pretty good about the project now that the fenders are done!

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser TriColor update 2/17

Glad to see that someone else values the old vintage girls bikes. The one you are working on is really looking top notch.

Walker said:
Thanks for the kind words. I did this Elgin up for my wife a few years ago. I think this Firestone is coming out better though!
DSCN0037.jpg
Looks fine from here. Your work in progress does have more trick paint detail though. Nice work.

Walker said:
I just used some of that Rustoleum cold galvanizing spray paint..in a word....garbage

Was it used on a “study” or on the project?

BTW: That Elgin’s paint job is outstanding with looks that are period correct – well done!

Walker said:
I just used some of that Rustoleum cold galvanizing spray paint..in a word....garbage

On the fender braces?

Check out Duplicolor brake caliper paint in silver....gives a nice steel look and is quite durable.

unfortunately my impatence got the better of me and I went ahead and shot the fender braces. It's just a lot more sparkly than I anticipated. It will be fine though.

The one item I will be changing out is the drivetrain. Since the orig sprocket is just too huge for the hills we have around here and the crank arms were too rusty I'll be swapping in a nice chrome Elgin dogleg crankset with a huffy ring. I'd rather a wald sprocket with the 4 teardrops but it's what I had in stock.

Paint looks great, very sharp lines! :shock:

Back