1941 Firestone Cruiser Done 5/22

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Stripping it down for repaint

Thanks Luke, I'm glad to have some forward momentum on this project. hoping to get back out tonight and finish off the tank, front fender and whatever else I can..

curved braces...
Colsonparts002.jpg

might have to make a pattern of these..

40% done. I'm just going to hand scratch the underside of the fenders.
Colsonparts001.jpg

Nice progress so far! :D That orbital sander works like a champ :mrgreen:

More parts in the done bin
Firestoneparts003.jpg

Orig seat is pretty rough
Firestoneparts006.jpg

might use this one instead, the vinyl is kind of faded so maybe recover depending on what the color scheme turns out to be
Firestoneparts007.jpg

Need to start thinking about converting this light to LED. Switches are rusted solid...
Firestoneparts002.jpg

Re-pop white torpedo grips
Firestoneparts005.jpg

Might use these white tires, not quite ballooner size but we'll see. I also have a clean set of white walls, some brick red's and plenty of all black
Firestoneparts004.jpg

I vote for solid whites! 8)

Walker said:
should I recover the seat in white as well? I hate picking colors, might as well be colorblind :D
Yeah, that would look awesome! :D White grips, white tires, and a white seat...maybe even a white chain? :idea:

the stripe separating the 2 tone green was originally white, I thought an off white/creme color would look nicer but maybe I'll just go with the orig white stripe and white accessories. Wonder where I might get some white pedal blocks?

rear Delta reflector cleaned with soap n water then a vinegar bath. Unfortunately the chrome was pitted so the copper plating is showing though. I have a plan though 8)

Deltareflector003.jpg

Deltareflector001.jpg

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Cleaning chrome bits

I have some nos reflectors and you won't have to worry about the chrome or have some rechromed ones.

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Cleaning chrome bits

I got this far on the frame and a huge chunk of the sanding pad on my orbital went flying so no more sanding till I can replace the pad :(

parts0213aa008_zps87dcc092.jpg

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Starting primer!

OK, so I repaired my orbital sander and got back to work. all parts are ready for paint with the exception of the rear rack which I will need to do some wire brushing or something along those lines.

Here's my progress with primer

frame and chainguard, sorry for the sideways shot
Firestone021113004_zpse36ea2cd.jpg

fender set in my "paint tent"
Firestone021113002_zpsde0d044f.jpg

spent some time on the truss rods and fender braces. Might do a hammered finish on them? a little more touch up with a wire wheel and they'll be done.
Firestone021113001_zpsdf05d651.jpg

This is how I heated up the tent, works pretty good actually
Firestone021113003_zps9d138f89.jpg

mounted up the white tires on the Nexus wheelset. I think I'll add a pinstripe to the rims to add some color, either in green or red, not sure yet.
Firestone021113005_zps5c2bef2a.jpg

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Priming underway 02-11

Nice progress, Walker :D

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Priming underway 02-11

thanks guys, I hope it turns out well.

paint question: should I spray the white (which will be the pinstripe between the 2 colors) first, then mask accordingly for each color or do the white last?

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Painting!!

It's starting to look good!

Re: 1941 Firestone Cruiser Painting!!

More painting.....

sorry for the poor quality photos, using my kodak flashless camera. If the sun shines tomorrow I'll take a couple of natural light photos.

if you are doing pinstripes, especially on curves, this stuff is the bomb
Colsonpaint23_zps5a17fc13.jpg

Chainguard
Colsonpaint25_zps647680ba.jpg

Tank halves prepped for paint
Colsonpaint24_zps47714e02.jpg

kaboom
Colsonpaint21_zps5a47d00d.jpg

Colsonpaint26_zps26c26be6.jpg

The fenders are the next big challenge. Not sure how to make that taping job any easier...

Back