1940 Columbia Skip tooth... haunted?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this bike on CL. It was owned by the seller's father-in-law. After he died, the bike then was owned by the seller's brother-in-law who added the WW tires. Unfortunately he too comitted suicide. The family decided the bike had too many negative memories associated with it so they wanted it GONE and gave it to me for a low price! I'm hoping it isn't haunted :(

The bike came with a cool 1950's Montana license plate and a very old looking padlock (hooked to the seat) without a key.

Anyways... it was a super cool find. Skiptooth with tank. Needs a light, pedals, grips. The seat could also be re-upholstered. The current leather is so bad that pieces fall off if the bike is moved at all. Anyone know if you can patina match leather on seat re-upholstery?

Got my eyes on the missing parts at Memory Lane, but new purchases are on hold for awhile. The bearings and the hub could be re-built as it doesn't really ride at the moment.

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

Haunted or not, that's a great find. :D

Sad that there was tragedy associated with the bike but it has a new home now.

That Montana plate has probably been untouched since '51. 8)

Beautiful bike, if you start having feelings of sadness and loose all desire to carry on, you can pass the bike along to me for a really good price to, that alone may pull you out it. Nice score :lol:

That's a nice bike. If it is genuinely haunted you can put it up on ebay. :mrgreen:

Nice find. It's screaming for a Columbia chainguard! Don't sweat the suicide thing. I have a shotgun that a friends dad did himself in with. It doesn't have any ghosts...it's just wood and steel. :wink: Gary

Sweet find! :D I'm starting to like Columbia's a lot more than Schwinn's now that I started building one :mrgreen: Good luck with it :wink:

One of my first cars was a 1958 Cadillac Hearse and was used all the way up into the late 80's before it was retired. It hauled literally thousands of bodies. I never saw any ghosts or ghouls in it so I think you're safe. If not you can always send it my way.

Haha, loving the Christine references. There has been no ghost activity since getting the bike. Maybe once the back hub is a little more freed up, the bike will start riding around on its own. :shock:

heyslugger said:
Shawn - I saw that one too. Glad you got it! Hey I have the correct Pedals and grips for that one! :)
I actually found the correct torrington pedals in my box-o-junk, but I totally want those sweet Columbia grips if you're willing to part with them :D I'm surprised you didn't grab the bike before me, you're usually much quicker on the CL thing haha!

I'm not saying I', quick but I did see it about 20-some minutes after it was posted. I had just bought 2 bikes and some parts and I had to weigh the space vs. GF vs. Bike issues. I am, like I said, glad its now yours! 15 for the grips? LMK!!

Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
Did you pick up the bike in this?

christine.jpg

Little known fact: Did you know all 1956, 1957, and 1958 Plymouth Fury coupes were white?

Yes I am a Mopar guy.

outskirtscustoms said:
Little known fact: Did you know all 1956, 1957, and 1958 Plymouth Fury coupes were white?

Yes I am a Mopar guy.

No, but there are some weird facts about that car in relation to the movie. I can't recall right now and am too...'celebrated' to look them up. Movie car was a mix of '56, '57, & '58 Plymouth Furies?

IMDb.com/christine/trivia.....
Zzzzzzzzzz

Latest posts

Back