1939 Goodyear Colson.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Was being used as yardart. I couldn't leave it there.

17640c2f41ccaa92d282eff0188973a2.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Just showing off......Here's an update with some added parts for this rescue.
Lots of mismatched colors at the moment. Keep in mind this one was basically just a frame. I had already added the stand and wheels once I recieved it.
But, with the added snap tank, truss rods, rear rack, deco stem, hbars, chainguard and rear clip ...he's about ready for the chain and a test drive.
Not pretty at the moment but, the value of this yard art find has increased quite a bit.
A big thanks to George and Tom for helping me find all the parts.
And yes Dave, the truss rods is a nice added touch.

cc59e0e0ae34585ea82a5efef4636fc5.jpg

a8fad79f58eaa87d462025b6506159be.jpg

eaaa960191241097fe62e538ce07ae52.jpg

Looks great now, just curious, is that a Original Tank or Manufactured one ?

~Rafael~

Yard art... did you buy it or steal it? :crazy::21::crazy: Me, i'd have done the latter if they didn't take my offer. It was nice in the OP, and with the changes you've made, it looks outstanding. :thumbsup:

The tank is not original to the bike as I found it but it is an original non horn equipped snap tank.
And it took a little haggling to get a reasonable yard art price on this bike. But, I guess in hindsight I did kinda steal it for the price I paid. But, with all the parts I bought for it, it is a costly project.
I have always wanted a snap tank Colson and this seemed to be the best way to get one.

Last edited:
Those tanks are fairly rare/expensive. I looked for a couple years for on for my 39 but never found one I could afford. Great find!

Pick, I couldn't afford it either but, so the mortgage will be late.
It's a snap tank! They just don't pop up often. Sometimes you have to buy it when you see it. And I did.....Don't tell the wife

And yes Junkhunter, it is a Colson tank. The non horn equipped model. [emoji54]

It's all about the needed parts!!

Painted the tank the other day to see if the color matches the frame repaint from years ago. Not a bad color match.

Guess this is now on the repaint list.
f5a4b95ff75473676320bfdb274a5689.jpg

It's all about the Rescue / Revival and of course the Tanklights!!

my FB page
https://m.facebook.com/antiquebikerescue

The og color as I recall was red. When I got the bike it was already repainted and pinstriped.
But I like the green look so was going with a close match.
Obviously this whole bike will need a repaint job.

my FB page

Oh. I was going to say if that was the OG paint to just leave it for sure. But I'm still digging the green repaint on it.

Wished it was the original paint. The frame is a real candidate for a bead blast and filler primer. Pits everywhere. We'll see how it goes. I hate repaint and doing rattlecans but, it's all I'm equipped with.
Was thinking of a bare metal theme but the pits are just everywhere on the frame. Too many for my liking.
It's still a snap tank Colson so what ever goes of the project I'm sure it will still be a looker.

my FB page

Yeah I agree, I think I've given up on doing repaints. It just never comes out how I expect. If I do another repaint ever i would have a friend help me that has a paint shop. But I'm the same I'm all about the OG paint. Ya never know it would still probably look pretty awesome bare metal even with the pitting. Either way it's pretty complete I'm sure it will look good no matter which route ya go.

That's a worthwhile candidate for a restoration. Can't wait to see it with a new coat.

Finally got 99% of the green paint off last night. Who needs a bead blaster...used a brass wire brush and at times a steel wire brush wheel.
Interesting look I have now. Some areas were taken down to shiny steel where some areas were not (yet ).
Guess I could linseed the parts and go from there to see what it turns out to look like.
Having never followed up on a bare metal theme before, I might just try it.
Lots of large areas of deep pits in the steel but, all appears to still be a structurally sound frame.

Would be easier to remove the oil than deal with re-stripping the frame back down to bare metal. And then decide to go with a different look.
Not sure I've seen a bare metal Colson done here before.
This is not a ratrod themed contender as all parts will be correct Colson parts.
Hmmmm?

I am inspired by Tyler' s vision he had on his bull nose. Don't think he went through with it though.
As I recall what he accomplished with the original paint was amazing.

His vision.....
faed995fc20ac1aaea6df7bae247b54a.jpg

Well back to work...as the rescue contunues
f95b963971473f0e0cd352b6752b1f55.jpg

185274fc0bd32697155a4123c1b84d69.jpg

my FB page

Last edited:
This is a pretty blotchy pitted metal frame. Shades of brown (rust), black (heavily pitted) areas where the rust was removed with the brass wheel and of course if I really work at I can find shiny metal.
I'm on the fence on the look I want on this one.
The turkey leg has spider webbed paint crackle lines (metal is not damaged) from the original red paint. Kinda a cool look.
Hey I'm not rat builder...but....

0ceffc92c7f02e4072f795ffa7525794.jpg

539602b0686d7c27e172c9276476cfc5.jpg

362e562c1d0ae2d7721204caa2ffa39b.jpg

my FB page

Back