1930's Triumph

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up from a local bike collector a couple weeks ago. Along the way got to see a collection with an Aerocycle, Elgin Bluebired, and other similarly rare bikes! Needless to say they got me very stoked to start this project.

All I know is that it's a Triumph. He said it's from the '30s. I can't find another one with the bent top tube like it online. This bike has had the living heck beat out of it during it's life though, one of the fork dropouts has been replace, half of the rear triangle was broken off and welded back on a very long time ago, and there is some non factory braze work done on what I assume are were broken welds. The frame is still pretty straight and rigid though.

I assume it's been in someone's front yard for years, as when I was tearing it down it had tons of mold and moss growing on it. The spoke nipples had pulled through the wheels they were so rusty! I scrapped the wheels, but saved the hubs. My plan is to completely tear it apart before rebuilding it as a single speed commuter. I've almost got it all apart, except for the sprocket side of the cottered cranks, the cotter pin is bent/mangaled, so I'm taking the grinder to the cotter pin tomorrow. Worse case would be cut the center axle and just get new cranks. Also, the stem is stuck in the fork, which is also stuck on. That's the biggest problem, as it's been soaking in penetrating lube for a week and still no budge...

Anybody have any info on it? I'd sure like to know what's stock and whats not.

DSCN0483.jpg

^As it looked when I brought it back to my dorm.
oct22.jpg

^As it sits now.
DSCN0502.jpg

^The Velocity deep v wheelset I picked up for it, I plan on lacing the original SA coaster brake into the rear wheel so I have brakes, as there aren't any mounts on the frame and I don't want to drill any.

Awesome! I love the frame and wheelset.

It looks a lot like my CCM camelback.

28rh27o.jpg

Your project has me stoked to get a move on mine. :wink:

It looks a lot like a Raleigh bomber frame, but its a little bit older. Raleigh picked triumph in the 50's there probably is some relation in that shared design. You should be able to beat that cotter out with a punch.

use a torch to heat the neck and twist the gooseneck while holding the forks. also try using a brass hammer on the gooseneck after its been warmed up and tap it down. should work to break it loose. you Don'y have to heat the neck red hot to get it loose. good luck.

I could try heat, but it might mess up the paint, as I don't want to repaint this thing. Even though it's got about four layers of house paint over the original gold. I'm thinking about trying to pull the stem jam nut out through the bottom hole in the fork, then getting a punch and "aggresively easing" the stem out that way.

deorman said:
:? The spec. sheet says it has 36 spokes. :|I'm not absolutely certain, but I think old 24" whls have 32.

Hmm, I was told somewhere else that they were 32. But I guess the spec sheet doesn't lie.

Thanks for the heads up about 24" wheels. I'll look into one of those.

I just got back from WWU's Vehicle Research Institute, which since I'm part of the program I can use the entire shop and tools for free! While there I proceed to beat the steam out, get the forks off, and cut the crank axle since the cotter pin was bent, and so was the crank. Now I'm going to need a new crank, but the old one's were really beat up anyways. I'll get photos later tonight.

Latest posts

Back