█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex 6/12 Do You Hear Me Major Tom?

I think it is looking better than the Vienna Sausage can so far!

Then I mocked the missile nose cone section. It's not alligned with the spaceship yet, but now do you get the picture??????

May shorten the nose cone some. Will definitely allign it with the body and rear end. It wil be a bolt on from underneath somehow.

WP_001834.jpg

WP_001836.jpg

WP_001837.jpg

WP_001838.jpg

WP_001839.jpg

WP_001840.jpg

Then I angled the wings down a little bit and took some more mockup angles. I think I like them swept down like this more. You can see the wing surface more from the side view.

Sorry for all of the photos, but this is just the way I have to visualize a build.

WP_001841.jpg

WP_001842.jpg

WP_001843.jpg

WP_001844.jpg

Then I mocked the rear dropout fin wings again and played some more.

WP_001845.jpg

WP_001846.jpg

WP_001847.jpg

WP_001848.jpg

WP_001850.jpg

Even popped the shifter housing on tehre to see it again

WP_001851.jpg

OK, I have one question...

Wghat happened to the pretty brick courtyard and fountain? You seem to be in a dirty alley with trash cans now.

I think the wingless eagle from the chopped 54 Chevy hod ornament is going to be my light bracket.

WP_001854.jpg

WP_001855.jpg

WP_001856.jpg

WP_001857.jpg

WP_001858.jpg

WP_001859.jpg

yoothgeye said:
OK, I have one question...

Wghat happened to the pretty brick courtyard and fountain? You seem to be in a dirty alley with trash cans now.

They have "Alleys" in Charleston. In Savannah we call them "Lanes". :wink:
We live in the Historic District in an 1873 house we restored. My shop is in the lower carriage house out back and when I need to do any cutting or dirty work, I open up the double doors into the lane.

The flaming HD 7 ball came in the other day so I mocked it up as well.

WP_001861.jpg

WP_001860.jpg

Looks terrific, but that little piece by the front of your seat scares me!

Oneuglybike said:
Looks terrific, but that little piece by the front of your seat scares me!

Oh man! Yeah, I really need to scale that back a notch. I don't want my bike to be the "Steely Dan" bike!!!
See that's why I do all of these mockups. Who want to ride around town with people calling them Bilbo??????

Thanks for saving me!!!!

kingfish254 said:
We live in the Historic District in an 1873 house we restored. My shop is in the lower carriage house out back and when I need to do any cutting or dirty work, I open up the double doors into the lane.

Your place sounds awesome, I really wanna visit, but this Summer we're going north, to Amish country.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Your place sounds awesome, I really wanna visit, but this Summer we're going north, to Amish country.

Tank is making his summer trip to Tybee on the 4th and bike2112 may head down this way too.

Have fun terrorizing the Plain People on Sand Rover or GIJJ.

Man, it is nice to actually see the lines of my bike again. That coppertone testbed was needed, but it just blocked my mind too much.

I like the downward sweep of the wings. I think I may also move them so that they attach to the cocktail shaker a little lower.

I HAVE to cut that nose cone back to just a nub of a cone. It's just a bit too much like something else.

I know I need to grind/cut a good bit out of the bottom of the eagle light bracket. If I don't I will end up bottoming out against it like critter did on Lackluster.

With the spaceship, the eagle bracket, and the wings, I am really digging the handlebars more and more. They are point and swept back.

Yeah it's good to see the bike without the coppertone bars again.
It's lookin good ... I like the wings and the eagle front light bracket would be way cool if you can fit it to work ...
I can see how you might drop the wings on the shaker to give it more of a connection with the tailfin ...
BUT, Seriously you Really need to cut that nose cone part DOWN ...
I completely see your concept, ( Even before the BORG photos ), but having that stick out that far from under the seat....You gotta be Real Careful sitting down ( or you really will have trouble sitting down for awhile ) .... And I think aesthetically it'll look better if it doesn't protrude further than the point of the seat above it...
Glad your digging the handlebars more, Risking speaking for everyone else, We've been digging them from the get go ....
Keep Going ..

kingfish254 said:
Have fun terrorizing the Plain People on Sand Rover or GIJJ.

The last time I took bikes I also took one of those little Razor mini battery powered choppers, the Amish people really smiled at me riding around on that one. This time I am taking a tall bike and I think my 1956 J.C. Higgins tank bike with the massive apes I made. Kids will have their bikes, one for the wife, and the modified tag-along for the little one.

Looks good with those clubman style handlebars, I'd keep `em. Seems like an upper pivot/rocker is almost needed to keep everything inline like on modern mtbs, how's it ride? Always thought the rear of an old GT LTS suspension would make an interesting bolt on rear, saw someone use one reversed as part of a fork around here somewhere. Though the shock tower is nearly as suggestive as the piece under your seat.

$(KGrHqN,!iEE-kBuOhrBBPstHjm49g~~60_12.JPG

Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex 6/12 Do You Hear Me Major Tom?

kingfish254 said:
I know I need to grind/cut a good bit out of the bottom of the eagle light bracket. If I don't I will end up bottoming out against it like critter did on Lackluster.

With the spaceship, the eagle bracket, and the wings, I am really digging the handlebars more and more. They are point and swept back.
KF I'm really digging all the lines you've created here! Your vision is coming together nicely. The hood ornaments are going to come out real nice once they're all aligned. I agree now that the coppertone mock ups are gone, it's seen in a whole new light. Please keep those bars and stem!! They're perfect..

The good thing about unwanted endos on a spaceship bike is when that back end comes up past twenty degrees, everything slows down and weightlessness / antigravity takes affect and you'll settle back to earth without fear of road rash on your palms. Bet ya didn't know that.. :)

I also have some ocean front property in West Savannah I'd sell you too! :)

whoinphx said:
Yeah it's good to see the bike without the coppertone bars again.
It's lookin good ... I like the wings and the eagle front light bracket would be way cool if you can fit it to work ...
I can see how you might drop the wings on the shaker to give it more of a connection with the tailfin ...
BUT, Seriously you Really need to cut that nose cone part DOWN ...
I completely see your concept, ( Even before the BORG photos ), but having that stick out that far from under the seat....You gotta be Real Careful sitting down ( or you really will have trouble sitting down for awhile ) .... And I think aesthetically it'll look better if it doesn't protrude further than the point of the seat above it...
Glad your digging the handlebars more, Risking speaking for everyone else, We've been digging them from the get go ....
Keep Going ..

Thanks Who, The nose cone will probably end up only being about 1-2 inches to mirror the tailfin.
I have always loved teh handlebars, it's just that I love them even more with the spacehips, eagles, wings, and fins!!!!!
The stem is even starting to grow on me.

socal_jack said:
Looks good with those clubman style handlebars, I'd keep `em. Seems like an upper pivot/rocker is almost needed to keep everything inline like on modern mtbs, how's it ride? Always thought the rear of an old GT LTS suspension would make an interesting bolt on rear, saw someone use one reversed as part of a fork around here somewhere. Though the shock tower is nearly as suggestive as the piece under your seat.

Thanks for the feedback. That GT is slick.

I have always loved the bars, I just love them even more now with the way my build is going.

No need for any other pivots. Modern MTBs have the main pivot near the BB, so there is a lot more travel. Mine is based on the 1939 TwinFlex and the main pivot is only a few inches in front of the drops. All I had to do was add a second pivot just above the drops (just like the TwinFlex and have the upper springer bolt secured in a stationary plane with brackets. This makes the springer travel smoothly with no binding. Pretty cool for 1930s engineering.

1939%20firestone%20twinflex%20original%20jg%206.jpg

Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex Spaceliner 6/12 Spaceship! Page 36

Critter1 said:
kingfish254 said:

KF I'm really digging all the lines you've created here! Your vision is coming together nicely. The hood ornaments are going to come out real nice once they're all aligned. I agree now that the coppertone mock ups are gone, it's seen in a whole new light. Please keep those bars and stem!! They're perfect..

The good thing about unwanted endos on a spaceship bike is when that back end comes up past twenty degrees, everything slows down and weightlessness / antigravity takes affect and you'll settle back to earth without fear of road rash on your palms. Bet ya didn't know that.. :)

I also have some ocean front property in West Savannah I'd sell you too! :)

Critter, Thanks for the feedback and physics lesson. I was worried if I kept the long nosecone that my bike might make me start singing "MOON RIVER"***

fletch_moon_river.jpeg

*** I actually grew up on the island of Johnny Mercer's summer home. We swam in THE Moon River all the time.

Back