█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! Nice use of a Coppertooth calendar background too!

Luke.

Thanks, that calendar hangs in my shop and I believe I used the May - BIG JIM as a backdrop earlier in the thread somewhere.

Wicked shifter...love it!
Oh yeah! I love that shifter!
nice job!!!!!!! really like that can't wait to see the headlight bracket

Thanks guys. I dig this little Skulluncle Sam too. The brim of the hat makes for an easy place to grab it to shift too.
I also like the rotating dial shift indicator. The plastic cover is cracked, but I think I just might leave it exposed like it is.
These shifters had a bottom cover too, but I am missing that piece.

I have stated earlier when I got this frame that so many photos that I have seen of 5 bars, you don't necessarily notice the upper and lower double bars. Early on I was planning to paint some sort of accent color between the bars to make the gap a bit more noticeable. Once I decided on the starsNbars theme, I thought that dirty white/creme pinstripes between the bars should work well. I decided to test that out tonight. Didn't have much daylight, so I cut some pinstripes from masking tape and slapped some on for a test run. These are incomplete, but I just wanted to get a feel for how it would look.

WP_20140605_20_04_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_04_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_04_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_05_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_05_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_03_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_03_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_03_54_Pro.jpg

I like the early results, so went back in the shop and cut some more stripes. I'm thinking three stripes with one stripe down the inside centerline, but I may also try four stripes with two stripes on each side of the centerline.

WP_20140605_20_30_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_31_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_31_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_32_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20140605_20_33_08_Pro.jpg

I want it to be noticeable and enhance the frame, but not so much that it slaps you upside the head like Bad Santa with a candy cane. Looking at the picks, I'm not sure that I will continue the stripes on the seat stays down to the drops. I may cut them off at the fender brace. I'll have to look at that in better light at different angles.

King, this bike is looking great. The stripes are gonna set it off even more. So far out of all your builds, this is my favorite.

Great job, Rg

Thanks man. I've enjoyed each of my builds for different reasons. No two are anything alike. I've just had fun building whatever comes to me. Flexy has been my best rider hands down, but I am planning for starsNbars to take it's place. Glad you like it and the inner stripes.

I like the stripes!
I like three. Also, I think you're right about not striping the seat stays. It might look good to only do the top tubes and connect them across the fender brace.

Oh, and I'm thinking that you can change the green reflectors to blue with some blue anodizing paint. Don't know if the green underneath would effect it, but would be worth an experiment.:39:
IMG_2267.jpg

I like the stripes!
I like three. Also, I think you're right about not striping the seat stays. It might look good to only do the top tubes and connect them across the fender brace.

Oh, and I'm thinking that you can change the green reflectors to blue with some blue anodizing paint. Don't know if the green underneath would effect it, but would be worth an experiment.:39:
IMG_2267.jpg

I was thinking the same thing about connecting the stripes across the fender brace. I'll keep the downtube stripes because that is really the part that gets lost with these frames and to me it's just as cool as the sweeping top tubes.

I bet the metalcast would work, but again, I'm still not sure I'll stick with this smaller star chainring. And if I do, I am leaning more towards replacing the green with white. Good idea though.

You did a great job on that shifter, but your moving picture just about made me want to hurl... :D

Exactly the reaction I was going for!!!! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! :rockout:

Took the trash out late tonight and stopped in the shop to noodle on the build again. This mole trap has potential as my headlight bracket once I remove the spiky guillotine section.
WP_20140605_23_37_59_Pro.jpg

Diggin' the stripes, diggin' the whole bike!

I had one thought about your awesome seat- it might look cool if you were to reshape the curved line at the top of the bars to a wider strip that comes to a point in the middle, or work it into a scallop like the top of an interstate sign.

cuttlebug-interstate-sign-2x2.jpg

I don't know if that flows with the whole bike or not, but it came to mind when I saw your design laid out. Keep up the fine work!

Back