█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow those are some crazy grips..the hammered paint idea, can't wait for results.

Yeah, they are handmade, probably for a motorcycle. Rockit got them at a swap meet.
I think the paint is going to work well.

I'll definitely have to play around with the multicolor textured paints. They spray like wet sand and build up really quick. It's going to probably take a combo of the dark brown and the rusty one to get the color right.

The Hammered black looks sweet and is fairly close. Maybe just a bit to glossy though, but I can knock the sheen off a bit pretty easily. Jasper had a good idea of maybe having the textured paint under the hammered to get more texture.

I think between the two textured colors, I can mimic the seat and handlebar rust pretty good by mixing them up.
WP_20140603_20_23_40_Pro.jpg

Fast trial and error, I now know that I don't want to start with hammered followed by textured on top. The textured is way too thick and it makes for horrible masking lines. Plus the hammered is too slick to be an accurate base coat to the polished rust.
WP_20140603_20_45_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20140603_20_45_59_Pro.jpg

But the hammered black on top of the textured looks like it will work well to mimic the polished rust. I'll still need to knock down the sheen a little.
WP_20140603_21_16_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20140603_21_16_30_Pro.jpg

That's a good match on the paint!

It's a good enough test that I should be able to play around with it and get a nice mimic of the seat rust and polished rust pattern. The brown matches the best, but what I think I will do is lay down a base of the rustier textured to get some red tones, then go over that with the brown as the top coat, but do it unevenly to mimic the unevenness of any true rust. Then I'll tape off the starsNbars pattern and lay the hammered black down as the polished rust. It's much more realistic with the textured paint underneath. Then I knock down some of the sheen of the hammered.

Wow KF, that turned out better than I could ever imagine! Is that really a clean chainguard under the textured and hammered paint? You really got it spot on with the brown, and it being on the opposite side of the bike, no one will be able to tell the difference:grin:

Wow KF, that turned out better than I could ever imagine! Is that really a clean chainguard under the textured and hammered paint? You really got it spot on with the brown, and it being on the opposite side of the bike, no one will be able to tell the difference:grin:

Its a pretty clean schwinn guard under the paint. All of the texture is from the paint and it was spayed on very sloppily for the test. I've been thinking more about matching the seat rust, but the bars are actually more like the darker brown paint. I'll just use the rusty paint for undertone highlights.

I think between the two textured colors, I can mimic the seat and handlebar rust pretty good by mixing them up.
View attachment 3469

Fast trial and error, I now know that I don't want to start with hammered followed by textured on top. The textured is way too thick and it makes for horrible masking lines. Plus the hammered is too slick to be an accurate base coat to the polished rust.
View attachment 3470 View attachment 3471

But the hammered black on top of the textured looks like it will work well to mimic the polished rust. I'll still need to knock down the sheen a little.
View attachment 3472 View attachment 3473

Looks great. I'm glad to see you actually have a vision for this bike and not just throwing things on it just for the heck of it. You're taking the time to see what works and what doesn't work, that is why this bike is going to be amazing when finished.

Looks great. I'm glad to see you actually have a vision for this bike and not just throwing things on it just for the heck of it. You're taking the time to see what works and what doesn't work, that is why this bike is going to be amazing when finished.

Thanks man. I have a general vision, but as planned out as any build might be, it still becomes a very organic process. You have to try out each idea and see if it works with the flow of the build. If it doesn't you can't be too stubborn to chuck it (like I eventually did with the sammich forks). This is a fun rider already and I want to keep it that way. I am digging it and if others do too, BONUS.

Here is a reference shot of how the textured paints play with the handlebar rust.
WP_20140604_19_44_13_Pro.jpg

Here is a headlight with LED conversion already done that I picked up from @Machine Age Victim in a trade.
WP_20140604_19_50_31_Pro.jpg

My current thinking is to remove the brake studs and build a bracket to come up from them for the headlight. The bright LED is turned on in this photo.
WP_20140604_19_51_32_Pro.jpg

I won't be doing the any paint work on this bike until I finish all the mechanicals. So I decided it was time to do a little DooDad Brain Surgery. Crank up some ELP Brain Salad Surgery and enjoy watching Doctor Doodadenstein (STEEN not Stine) play.
young-frankenstein1.jpg

First I took the Iverson shifter apart including pulling the shifter knob off.
WP_20140604_18_21_02_Pro.jpg

I wasn't very careful and that tiny little ball bearing bounced across my junky shop floor. After roaming around on the floor I finally found it, otherwise this shifter would have been Abbey Normal.
WP_20140604_18_33_54_Pro.jpg

Then I prepped the patient for his dremel lobotomy so that I could connect him to his Matrix umbilical cord.
WP_20140604_18_44_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20140604_18_58_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20140604_18_59_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20140604_19_56_07_Pro.jpg

IT"S ALIVE!!!!!
http___makeagifcom__media_6-04-2014_P0Lo4E_zps8e9573e7.gif

WP_20140604_19_41_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20140604_19_41_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20140604_19_49_59_Pro.jpg

Back