*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (amateur hour update: 5/11)

IMG_4152.jpg

looks like the paint remover didnt work

yoothgeye said:
nelvolks said:
I like where your going with that. I think it will look good. What is the biggest size you can fit?

I am limited only by my wallet.

I think you are the only fan of this build.

That's ok I am cool with supporting a friend and fellow RRBiker.

yoothgeye said:
nelvolks said:
I like where your going with that. I think it will look good. What is the biggest size you can fit?

nelvolks said:
yoothgeye said:
nelvolks said:

hey, i'm in. murrays are on my top 5 favorite list

yoothgeye said:

Not true my friend :wink: , I've been watching this build with great interest. I'm particularly interested in the fork/stem configuration you're running. It is 'similar' to a design I've been discussing with Double Nickle and DonOne for about 4 months (I plan to a fault).

Build on dude!

Cheers,
Dr. T

axsepul said:

In that case, what did you think about my '80sTeam Murray skiptooth cog. It's probably my favorite part on the bike so far.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Not true my friend :wink: , I've been watching this build with great interest. I'm particularly interested in the fork/stem configuration you're running. It is 'similar' to a design I've been discussing with Double Nickle and DonOne for about 4 months (I plan to a fault).

Build on dude!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Dr. T, it was an exciting time when I slid that first stem in there and it fit, for some reason in my head I thought the fork legs would be too small. I have some little plastic and chrome caps for the steer tube, but I think I will run wiring through it and possibly put a switch there.

I'm digging your build, one thing though..
Instead of trimming those off a bit just bend them into your handlebars...eh...
I can picture it.
Cheers....

yoothgeye said:
axsepul said:

In that case, what did you think about my '80sTeam Murray skiptooth cog. It's probably my favorite part on the bike so far.

hey i've made all my bikes skiptooth even a brand new walmart schwinn. skiptooth gives it that "..." effect.

Funny, I was thinking the opposite! :lol: :lol:
The legs on a triple tree always look too big to me. :roll:
The cool thing is, you KNOW your handlebars will be in line with the forks... :mrgreen:

I like your idea of running wiring up through the steer tube.
I guess you could cut a disc of thin metal to the inside diameter of the top nut and push it in against 'lip' that stops it when you thread it on. install a toggle or push button switch and thread the nut on, right?? :?:

Good luck to ya.

Dr. T

whoinphx said:
I'm digging your build, one thing though..
Instead of trimming those off a bit just bend them into your handlebars...eh...
I can picture it.
Cheers....

The rear rack that can be seen in my very first mock up photo came off an old cheap kids bike withsolid rubber tires. It was kinda like a muscle bike and the fork legs came up to form the handlebars. I just didn't like the look.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
The cool thing is, you KNOW your handlebars will be in line with the forks... :mrgreen:

This is one benefit I have thought about and look forward to.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I guess you could cut a disc of thin metal to the inside diameter of the top nut and push it in against 'lip' that stops it when you thread it on.

This is a great idea, I was just going to install a switch into a pop in plug, but you idea is much better.

Re: *The 76er* (more fumes... update: 5/12)

Day 11

Didn't get much done tonight, but I spent a little time in the shop. I really wanna see those forks cut to length, so I had to get in there... funny that that's the one thing I didn't do.

Time to start thinking about paint color, does anyone care to pick out the colors they think I'll use?
IMG_4163.jpg

I hate wheel well gap on cars, so naturally I hate it on bikes too, so I put on the fattest tire I had and slid (hammered) the triple tree brackets down to where I thought it should be, is this close enough?
IMG_4164.jpg

That's my wedding ring, it won't fit through.
IMG_4165.jpg

Looks good from the side:
IMG_4166.jpg

I've been cutting everything with my angle grinder and a cut-off wheel, but I want these cuts to be cleaner, so until I borrow a rotary cutter I'll save the cutting for another day, I made my marks so I'm ready to cut.

I walked upstairs and saw my jacket... hmmm... it's not cold anymore
IMG_4167.jpg

Wonder if I should make a racing stripe seat cover?
IMG_4168.jpg

Nah... guess I cut the jacket for nothing. :cry:

OK, I thought this was brass, but now I have no idea:
IMG_4169.jpg

I tried hammering it out flatter, I can mark it up, but I think brass is a lot softer than this, but I've never dealt with this thickness
IMG_4170.jpg

It shines up real pretty, I hope to make a headbadge out of it, but it's a lot harder to work with than I expected, but it sure shines up pretty
IMG_4171.jpg

OK, one last item before I'm run out of the shop. I was really upset about that paint stripper not doing it's job. My wife threw out my receipt, so I can't take it back, I was about to throw it away, but I'll give it one last try.

I layed out the frame on shop rags and poured all the stripper over the frame:
IMG_4172.jpg

Then I wrapped the wet rags around the frame:
IMG_4173.jpg

Just for good measure, I took another product that I was mad at (it wasn't suppose to remove paint, but took the paint off my brand new bike) and poured the entire contents into the rags:
IMG_4175.jpg

Who knows what kind of chemical compound I created now, I could walk back in the shop later an the frame could be dissolved, it would be a great story, but I'd sure be sad, and how likely would I be to find another '76 Murray Skybolt so that this build would remain relevant?

Those fumes got bad quick and I ran out.

Have you heard of the Seveso disaster? It was an industrial accident that occurred around 12:37 pm July 10, 1976, in a small chemical manufacturing plant approximately 15 km north of Milan in the Lombardy region in Italy. It resulted in the highest known exposure to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin in residential populations which gave rise to numerous scientific studies and standardized industrial safety regulations.

Man, I sure hope I just didn't create 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. :shock:

Re: *The 76er* (the fumes are back! update: 5/12)

Dude, you are totally ADHD hahaha. Oh the brass, well, it does look pretty thick. To make it a lot easier, you should anneal it before you work with it. Take a torch and heat it cherry red, then cool it. It will be LOTS softer.

Oh, I just realized you're trying to thin the brass....so yeah, anneal it, and get a BIG ball peen hammer. The ball end will spread the metal faster. Hammering the brass will work harden it, so every so often you will have to anneal it again. This spreads the molecular structure, making the metal softer. :D

Have you heard of the Seveso disaster?
Don't ever try mixing Bleach and Windex together as it makes a gas similar to Mustard gas.

I dont know if you got the paint off yet. Ive used "Gasket remover" three times now to remove paint and powder coating. It runs about $10 a can.

Evil stuff dude so be careful

Just checked the frame, it still exists, but so does much of it's paint. :x I guess I'll have to do this the old fashioned way, wire wheel. If you look at the most recent photos of the head tube, I had to use the wire wheel on the angle grinder to get that paint off, ugh. Oh well.

Rockit! said:
Oh, I just realized you're trying to thin the brass....so yeah, anneal it, and get a BIG ball peen hammer. The ball end will spread the metal faster. Hammering the brass will work harden it, so every so often you will have to anneal it again. This spreads the molecular structure, making the metal softer. :D

I did something novel last night... I went to bed, needed some sleep, going mountain biking this evening.

But before I went to bed I was at church at praise team practice and sitting on the table beside the offering plates I got to thinking about my thick brass. Then I realized... I have an old brass offereing plate that the church was throwing out. I've been using it to hold vinegar so I can soak rusty chains. Forget working with that thick stuff, I've got something better!

Latest posts

Back