removing grips?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a bike show coming up in july, and I want to show my 83 schwinn predator there. But the grips on the bars are literaly melted to the bars, and I can't scrape it off and its incredibly sticky (it got on a 11/16ths wrench and I was able to stick it to the wall from acrost my shop). I was wondering if anyone knew how to get this stuff off? Can I burn it off without frying the chrome? Any help is appreciated.

goof off,lighter fluid, gasoline, thinner. try a one of those. should do the trick.

all the above should work ... for really bad sticky stuff you might want one of these

07517_scotch-brite_large_area_stripe_removal_disc_assembly.jpg

CCR said:
all the above should work ... for really bad sticky stuff you might want one of these

07517_scotch-brite_large_area_stripe_removal_disc_assembly.jpg
Can't quite tell what that is, sorry. I'll try gasoline tomorrow on it. This stuff is really bad. And the rear wheel is in rough shape.

Once I get done with the bar fiasco, and learn how to master photobucket, I'll put up pics! Before and after's I can assure you.

its rubbing disc for adhesives used to take the stripes and molding adhesive off cars. slaps in a drill and you chase it off the metal. kind of like a wire wheel.

Get a 7/8" open end wrench and put it on the bars just above the grip. Hold the bars down tight. With a hammer, tap the wrench and the grip will pop off. Compression of the plastic is what gets the grips to pop off. An air compressor stuck in the end of the other grip will also sometimes work. Gary

I've tried the wrench, but the grips have practicly liquified and turned into indestructable, un wash-abe, glue like stuff that is about the conistancy of chewng gum. The stuff that got on the wrench that I threw onto the wall? I can't pull the wrench off without warping the plaster on the walls of my shed. Its evil! :x

Put each grip into a bucket of very hot water, let it sit for a while, then they should come off will a little twisting. Make sure the water is really hot, and let the grips soak.

Dorian

Take a small flat head screwdriver and slide it between the grips & bars in 2 or 3 places and squirt a little WD40 or PB in there. Let it sit for a few mInutes and they'll come right off. Clean the bars afterwards with some laquer thinner.

Its worse, they're jus goo now. Not even grips anymore. Nothing left to cut with a razerblade. They're just evil, black melted rubber spluches on the ends. Igot part of the grip off, but it jus slid off over a even more vile and stickyer goop than before. And its flamable, incredibly. Flamible.

Oh dear, good thing I finally got rid of them! I set them on fire and then dunked them in water, it got brittle and chipped off. Woo hoo!

Latest posts

Back