NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
op bikes at wallmart)

i bought one of the black op bikes at walmart last week for 98 bucks its not too bad the seat does suck and i,m getting a noise when i pedal from the hub but not when i coast i thought it would be the opposite but i going to see how long it lasts and over the winter i,ll get a three speed nexus or seven speed nexus for it . then i,ll upgrade everything thing else. :lol:

hey sandyv you said you opened up your cruiser and greased her is the bottom bracket grease able or is it sealed and did you pull open the rear hub? and one more thing was your chain really tight on your bike when you got it ? mine was like no slack at all! let me know, thanks! :?:

Coaster bikes often come with excessive chain tension, which along with a crunchy sound, puts undo stress on the hub bearings and sprocket retaining ring. Another possibility is chain misalignment due to a dished sprocket being installed backwards, I have seen this a few times.

snarehead123 said:
hey sandyv you said you opened up your cruiser and greased her is the bottom bracket grease able or is it sealed and did you pull open the rear hub? and one more thing was your chain really tight on your bike when you got it ? mine was like no slack at all! let me know, thanks! :?:

Sorry for the late response, I haven't been on here for a while. To answer your question, I did pull open the rear and front hubs and greased them. There wasn't much grease in them. I did not have the right tool for the bottom bracket and it wasn't giving me any problems, so I left it alone. Although I put a couple drops of oil in the seams just in case. I don't know if it is sealed, I'm thinking it's not. I can't remember if the chain was tight when I got it, but I knew I needed to tune her up. If she starts giving me problems in the future, I'm just gonna change the components completely. For now she still runs really smooth and is now my wife's ride. She says its perfect for her because its light and fits her just right. We've been riding a lot and I might not be on here for a while again. Good luck with your bike, let me know how it turns out. :)

A Wallyworld bike is most likely going to be my next project. I don't like the OP bike....mainly because of the bottom bracket. The blue Cranbrook is the most likely choice. At $75 it makes a great starting point. The color is great and the matching rims set it off. The blue Schwinn is an option also.

Now that my two teenage sons are realizing that when they get to a certain size the BMX bikes get real small, they are both eying my cruiser bikes, so at least for Christmas they will both have a 75.00 Wal-Mart bike. They are like me and can not keep anything stock, so it will be interesting to see where they go with them. My youngest is already talking about doing a Military themed bike. :)

I really like the OP bike, because of the bottom bracket, and because it's aluminum... I'm thinking about taking the 8-speed drum rear wheel off of my chopper and putting it on a bike like this, that I can actually ride for very long distances without killing myself. With drum brakes and whitewalls, it would make an excellent rat rod bike...

FunkyStickman said:
I really like the OP bike, because of the bottom bracket, and because it's aluminum... I'm thinking about taking the 8-speed drum rear wheel off of my chopper and putting it on a bike like this, that I can actually ride for very long distances without killing myself. With drum brakes and whitewalls, it would make an excellent rat rod bike...

ive got one and im currently building it up. dont by a springer front end for it. the head tube on the frame is way to long and some heavy mods would be needed. could be done but not easily.

i have the build in bike builds forum. not much there just some minor changes.

FunkyStickman said:

I can see why some people would like the styling and bottom bracket, it's just that I like old style sprockets and one piece cranks. When I looked at the OP, I thought it would look killer with some black apes.

twistedmentality said:
ive got one and im currently building it up. dont by a springer front end for it. the head tube on the frame is way to long and some heavy mods would be needed. could be done but not easily.

Didn't somebody do a springer on an OP a few pages back? Seems like the head tube was like 8 1/2" I think.

predfan2001 said:
FunkyStickman said:

I can see why some people would like the styling and bottom bracket, it's just that I like old style sprockets and one piece cranks. When I looked at the OP, I thought it would look killer with some black apes.

twistedmentality said:

Didn't somebody do a springer on an OP a few pages back? Seems like the head tube was like 8 1/2" I think.

i wonder how he did that. heres the link to the problems i had trying to put a springer on.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30083

glad to her from you again sandy i put new bars on my op also new grips, the chain was real tight but once i put some slack in it all my rear hub troubles went away. i want to change my seat what brand do you have on yours? also alot of people are saying it is tough to put a springer on these bikes but yours looks great how did you do it was it a chore? let me know! thanks happy riding! :D

Re: NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART

Rat Rod said:
Large, lightweight aluminum frame with easy to remove clear stickers. :mrgreen:

IMG_0691.jpg

I saw that online awhile back, always liked the lines of it- chain-stays were nice. How much do you think the frame weights?

Latest posts

Back