Mr. Goodyear-actual photos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed I hadn't posted that the fork I'm using is 24", which is why the standard wienmanns reach the wide tire rim. To put a standard tire on here, the brake would have to be removed, possibly the front tab ground out! It has very nice handling this way, I like it.

I'm not going to call it done yet, but the things that count for me in a bike are pretty much all sewn up. The seat post, steering head, and wheels are all in plane, no whakadoodle dishing or other desperate measures required. The fork took a little minor tweaking, but the old Columbia frame is dead straight, and fairly light as well.(for a steel bike). Filing the front dropouts was a breeze, the home was already sized for 5/16, so I only had to open the entry slightly. The wheels I'm using now are much more appropriate for the the general direction of this build, the tires fit better, and they're at least 2 lbs lighter! The seat/handlebar/crank relationships are well within my narrow window of acceptance, almost perfect. Handling is pretty neutral and light, hooray :!: I usually don't paint my bikes, other than shooting more black over scratches on black ones, but they usually still have most of their factory finish. This one was covered with rust. It came out OK for an amateur rattle can job, but I may add some detail. I tend to always keep a coaster bike around, this one works GREAT! Not on any real off-road stuff, obviously, but a great street and bike path bike. It looks a little different with the seat and handlebar adjusted better, I might get another picture before it's done.

Last view before completed post, I'm still contemplating some minor appearance details. Functionally, no changes. The little bag under the seat contains a stubby wheel wrench, a few glueless patches, and enough CO2 to inflate at least 1 tire all the way.

DSC_0014.jpg

Every paint detail idea I came up with seemed to add to the imbalance of tight chromed front, and open plain rear. I finally came up with the only logical solution. It's chrome, it's slightly ratty...
SURRENDER TO THE RACK!!!
DSCN0050.JPG

Day light pics in the finished bikes forum tomorrow

Latest posts

Back