HARD LUCK (7/30 done final update)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HARD LUCK (6/5 new rockers and a pic just for herr_rudolf)

The new look of the front fork & suspension really brings out the best in ab already cool build.

cutting at the moment pics coming in a few (and woo hoo my 5000th post)

now that the benefit show is behind me i can get back on this poor ol girl. i was trying to figure out how to get more pedal clearance when it hit me. if i make the rear legs longer and move the axle back about 2 inches i will still have clearance at the top of the lower crown and gain some much needed space. i gave it a shot and it worked which was a huge weight off my shoulders because that ment i had the fork length nailed down so i could cut the legs and really mount the steering wheel. so here ya go i know it is not much of an update but with my tolerances this tight i had to take all this time to get it right otherwise it would have been a total failure.

001-14.jpg

002-14.jpg

again my dog drip approves

003-15.jpg

before the show i actually cleaned out the falcon and look what i found in the back hidden

004-13.jpg

this is for scale to give you an idea of how much longer the new rockers are

005-13.jpg

all i was after were these babies

006-12.jpg

fork legs cut no turning back now

008-8.jpg

like i said before i was gonna redesign the rockers once i figured out where the mounting points and axle were gonna be. started with the outline then started a few holes in progressive sizes

Re: HARD LUCK (6/21 mock up done time for the fun stuff)

sorry i was way tired when i updated the title and neglected to change the date oops. thanks skipton like i said with a fork this out there it has to be right or it wont work at all so it has taken many rounds of trial and error, mostly error to get it right.

cant wait to see the fork all finished up an see how the bike bike sits......possibly a ride video? :lol:

i am pushing to get the rockers done today. because my chop saw decided to take a poop i am forced to use the angle grinder which takes longer. i just took a break from grinding it into the final shape then i will fire up the air compressor and finish it off. i might even get to the tank if i am lucky

rockers are done front legs are done all is painted i will post pics later helping a buddy move today. i am still in it i think?

Re: HARD LUCK (6/26 wraping up the forking fork )

once i had the locations of the axle and pivots figured out now it was time to change it from a square into something a little more pleasing to the eye. so here we go

001-15.jpg

002-15.jpg

007-12.jpg

008-9.jpg

after the shape was roughed out i fired the air compressor and smoothed them out and radiused the edges a bit. left is before and right is after

009-6.jpg

did the same with the holes so that they were smooth and slightly radius in towards the holes

010-9.jpg

was going to polish them but i am out of cash to get more buffing wheels so i had to paint them. here they are in primer

012-6.jpg

painted in off white and drying

011-7.jpg

next were the front legs which i did sand and polish as much as i could. i purposely left some of the rust just to remind myself she is a rat at heart

013-5.jpg

cleared and hanging to try

014-6.jpg

015-5.jpg

as she sits ride hight set and i am pleased personally with the slightly shorter wheel base pulling the wheel back slightly.

Re: HARD LUCK (6/27 forks done wheeeewwwww )

You did it again!...You pulled it off!. I love it!

FuNkY :shock: I like it :mrgreen:

KOTA said:
You did it again!...You pulled it off!. I love it!

not quite yet lol but i feel much more comfortable about it now.

Gold Street Customs said:
Looks ready for the barrel races :shock: :lol: Wow what a wild ride that will be, If I rode it , I think the ground clearance would be eliminated :roll: see ya at Cyclefest!!

the spring is pretty stiff i think you would be fine. doubt if i will have it out at cyclefest we will see how it goes. behind the bars maybe. and NO barrel race

working on the tank now doing something that has been done before but a first for me. its not metal.......

gotta love trash clean up day where people get to throw stuff out in piles. the dude across the street tossed out this nice board and it hit me to do a tank with it. i have not done a wood tank yet so figured i would give it a shot.

016-2.jpg

this is what i started with

017-3.jpg

traced it out and roughed the shape with....

018-4.jpg

this.....hey when your scroll saw is down u make do with what ya got just watch the fingers

019-1.jpg

after some more shaping and sanding it looks kinda like something

020-1.jpg

i rounded the edges of the tank and called it a day. you will notice there are no clamps i designed it so it has to be tapped into place for a clean look

025-3.jpg

023-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back