Fisch's 20inches of Awesome! 7/9 I'm a NY Times best seller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Made upper Springer mount Pg3

Thanks guys! It was my first time trying to fab something like that, so if I can do it anyone can!

This is an older picture of the build, (not showing the springer bracket), that I photoshopped some Lester Mags on. Too bad I don't own a pair like this!
IMG_2073MAgs.jpg

Volksboy, indeed those are the rims indeed, now I need to find a really cheap pair. Preferably red.

Inshane, It is some thin metal so I may need to stiffen it up with a steel plate underneath, so this could wind up decorative cover. But I will wait till I get it assembled and see how bad it is!

You are really doing some nice work. That bracket is probably stronger than it looks. Makes me want to get back on my muscle bike, but it's on hold until after the build off.

You get extra points for the awesome 'stache! Rg

It is a micro update really. But baby steps, right! So after seeing a few of you cats spread your forks with a car jack, I thought I'd give it a whirl. You guys are smart. it worked like a charm. It looks like an even spread. And the disc brake front rim I am running (If I can't find some cheap red lester/scrambler mags.) clears beautifully!
IMG_2259.jpg

If you've been following the thread you know I contacted wald about this NOS fork, and they sent me a catalog stating that it was a 'Heavy-duty' replacement fork from the 50's. Well I figured it was tough, but I didn't think it would be THIS tough. It bent my jack! But we got er done.
IMG_2260.jpg

And on a somewhat unrelated note. I see all you dudes grabbing an unfair advantage with you amazingly cute bunny photos! Well I'm not about to add a bunny to my zoo, BUT I am an illustrator, and just happen to have illustrated a bunny or two in my day.

Littly naughty dirty bunnies with their pooping anywhere they want too! Just filthy!
2485_1056125736635_1630597540_164926_2402222_n.jpg

2485_1056125696634_1630597540_164925_6395096_n.jpg

2485_1056155377376_1630597540_164997_2631918_n.jpg

raggedjim said:
You get extra points for the awesome 'stache!

the stache gives him the ability to build cool things from the wife's boring things :mrgreen:

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Fork work & bunnies 5/24

The stache really does have magic powers. It is like Samson with the long hair. Only it doesn't make me any stronger, it just magically attracts more rusty stuff to my yard!

And the wife is awesome, supportive, rides a musclebike and a BMX scooter! Though she was happy to see me move from Datsuns (I have 3 in the garage) to bicycles, cause they take up less room! But I think I need more places to stash them because I think she is reaching her tolerance limit.

I had a fu-manchurian for years. Got ripped off in an industrial accident, ruined the safety calender countdown, but I did sell it at a yardsale to a guy who thought it was a shoe brush (actually, I slipped with the razor and couldn't get it to look right so I shaved it off, but I never let the truth get in the way of a good story)

Bikes looking good, car jacks are a dime a dozen...

Rg

Had a wild thought. What if I made my lower Springer brackets out of an old chainwheel?

I wanted to see if the disc set-up would even fit on the realestate, so we went to the cardboard tracing first.
IMG_2265.jpg

So am I out of my mind? I imagine that is some pretty hard steel. Currently I think it pushes the trusses too far away from the fork at the bottom. It is tighter at the top. BUT I am thinking as soon as I sit on this thing, it will compress and the trusses will come in a bit. (The truss rods still need to be cut, but you can see where they would make contact.) I am using sprung-sissy bar springs thus far and they don't seem too stiff.
IMG_2267.jpg

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Sprocket Springer. Crazy? 5/25

You really did want to see what that would look like!Pretty cool and interesting way to repurpose parts :!:

Fisch said:
Had a wild thought. What if I made my lower Springer brackets out of an old chainwheel?

I wanted to see if the disc set-up would even fit on the realestate, so we went to the cardboard tracing first.
IMG_2265.jpg

So am I out of my mind? I imagine that is some pretty hard steel. Currently I think it pushes the trusses too far away from the fork at the bottom. It is tighter at the top. BUT I am thinking as soon as I sit on this thing, it will compress and the trusses will come in a bit. (The truss rods still need to be cut, but you can see where they would make contact.) I am using sprung-sissy bar springs thus far and they don't seem too stiff.
IMG_2267.jpg

Well no, but the sprocket you're proposing has too much material cut away. What you need to find is an old school solid BMX chain wheel. It will certainly divide evenly!

raggedjim said:
I dunno, I would bet that sprocket would be plenty strong (and hard to drill!).

I'd do it, Rg

Thanks guys! Oh I am doin it! Already cut drilled and mounted. Working beautifully, I am just figuring out where my struts will attach, and that sent me down a path of strut figuring before I can do a photo update.

I am going with a Heim Joint on the bottom of the strut tubes. (I guess it is also called a rose joint, maybe a rod end too?) This will allow for some adjustability. BUT more importantly, ease of assembly.

I've ordered the tap I need and 3 piece heim joints. Next week they should come in. Might have to turn my attention to other areas while I wait!

You could attach chain to the top and bottom of the cut sprocket and attach it to the frame with heavy duty springs for fore and aft suspension without solid struts. I can see it in my head, but I'm having a hard time getting it out through my fingers and this keyboard. :oops:

Latest posts

Back