Fisch's 20inches of Awesome! 7/9 I'm a NY Times best seller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fisch's (unnamed) 20-inches of Awesome!

Yeah,this is awesome alright :!:

cool bike to build! I like the 13 sticker...reminds me of the old "A-HA" music video - Take On Me

the rendition of the sroinger look like its going to be one bad motha of a fork!!!!

Messin with the fork a bit. I found a new fork that might rock for this bike, but I hesitate to use it in case it is something rare? It is a NOS WALD fork, stamped B-26 inside, and pat. 2561710. Headtube is nearly 8"! There isn't anything too unusual about it other than it is about the heaviest non sprung fork I have lifted. Heavy-duti indeed. I asked if the fresh find section if it is anything special, but if not I will bend it and drill it for my needs.
IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

Speaking of bending, this is how I bend sissy bars. With a 30's Chevy Master delux rim and a vise. Just lift up.
IMG_2195.jpg

The idea is to match the curve of the fork a bit.
IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

Here is the initial design of the Springer bracket w/ the disc brake tab. I will cut it in thin plywood first I reckon. I think I will call it the Bronto. (Cause it looks like a dinosaur... Ha ha! Meh...)
Bracket.jpg

Check out these fresh finds too!!!! These things gotta be NOS. I imagine one will make it on the bike.
IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

And look at this! Amazing that no one wrote their name on it! Destined for this bike? I don't know. But it will be a pretty fat boy when I am done.
IMG_2193.jpg

Speaking of 20" of awesome, a little screamer inspiration hanging on my garage wall!
IMG_2194.jpg

bmxerpete said:
Number 5 is alive!

:mrgreen:

No. 5 is alive indeed! That is the same thing I thought! (For those born in the 90's and up watch the movie 'short circuit'.)

Time to start thinking about the upper bracket mount for the springer! Thank goodness for cardboard and hot glue, cause I've tried twice and haven't got it right yet. But I am getting close.
IMG_2213.jpg

I'd have it if I weren't thinking about using these lights. But how can I NOT use these lights! Things will hit in the current configuration. I need to move the truss holes back about a half inch. But it is looking pretty neat. And I like the way this light bracket can mount under the arch of the fork and fill some of the gap that running a 20" tire on a 26" fork will leave. Getting excited!
UpperSpringerBracket.jpg

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Mocking up Truss mount Pg3

Awesome :wink:

Thanks Schwinnray66 and BMXerPete! Baby steps!

And I think I am going to use the NOS Wald fork. I wrote Wald and sent them pictures and they were happy to ID it as:

WaldForkCat50.jpg

So it seems like a standard heavy duty replacement fork from 1951 or newer based on the patent #. It might be rare but I'd guess not valuable since a serious collector would want the stock fork that came with the make of the bike they are restoring, rather than a replacement one, even from the era.

Also this is perfect, because of the rust color, the LONG steer tube (I need like 7") and all the extra room above the dropouts for me to drill new holes for the springer swivel bracket. Hopefully it will be easy to bend!

WaldForkMods.jpg

Fisch said:
Speaking of 20" of awesome, a little screamer inspiration hanging on my garage wall!
IMG_2194.jpg

DUDE!!! That is my bike as a kid. About the only difference is, I had the multicolor fade yellow to red grip tape.

You sly dog! I see ya hiding at the bottom of the page! Sweet bike!! GTB!! Peace

Jake Sensi said:
You sly dog! I see ya hiding at the bottom of the page! Sweet bike!! GTB!! Peace

Thanks guys! Ha! Lately I've just been logged into RRB all day. But I am working in the background. Have a new cardboard template I think is working for the upper springer mount. I need to cut it out of metal and am 'thinking' about using this! Dinner is served!

Think the wife will notice?
Platter.jpg

Finally a use for those old wedding gifts.

Last year I cut up an old brass offering plate to make my headbadge, so why not!

I fabbed the upper springer mount. I realized pretty quickly that I needed to reinforce this bad boy if it were going to work at all. I've never fabricated anything like this from flat stock, so I was surprised how smoothly it went. I may still cut the star pattern I had in the above cardboard templates, but I don't want to weaken this at all. Which means more than likely I will center a badge in the front facing plate rather than cut it. On to the pics!

Gotta love a scroll saw! Bye-bye serving platter!
IMG_2241.jpg

BMXers love holes in things. The Matthews girder fork being one. So I drilled out some decorative circles in the side walls of the bracket. There were going to be some complex curves for them to conform too so I was nervous if I could pull it off.
IMG_2242.jpg

Hand bent the walls then broke out the MAP torch and solder.
IMG_2246.jpg

After some serious fileing and polishing, here is what we wound up with.
IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

Quickly slapping it on the bike. The idea was to have to the lower platform and wall edge flow into the twin headlights.
IMG_2256-1.jpg

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Made upper Springer mount Pg3

Wow, very cool work!

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Made upper Springer mount Pg3

Very cool 8) 8) I love details like this :!:

Back