Columbia/Goodyear Highway Patrol?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been trying to find out more about my '59 Columbia I picked up from my father-in-law and noticed that all the other 1959 Columbia's have a different headbadge than mine. Mine says "Goodyear" in bold letters and "made by Columbia" in smaller letters and it also says "highway patrol" on the head badge as well. Is this a rarity or is it that other Columbia's just put on a different head badge? Any help is awesome! Pictures up soon.

deorman said:
Like this? http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/451.htm Mine had one like this but in better shape when I got it, unfortunately gone now. These are definitely standard Columbia frames.
It's actually more like the Schwinn style frames with the intersecting twin tubes meeting at the seat post. I will get pics up soon, I promise. My wife took off for vacation with the camera. Hopefully next week pics will be up.

Yours probably looks like mine:
SUNP0005-1.jpg
It has the wrong chainguard and seat on it. I believe it's a '61. I also have a '62, here's the ebay pic collage:
62HiwayPatrolwtank.jpg
Westfield co. built Columbias and also the Hiway Patrols for Goodyear. ~Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Yours probably looks like mine:
SUNP0005-1.jpg
It has the wrong chainguard and seat on it. I believe it's a '61. I also have a '62, here's the ebay pic collage:
62HiwayPatrolwtank.jpg
Westfield co. built Columbias and also the Hiway Patrols for Goodyear. ~Adam
mine actually is really different, different bars, seat, fenders, forks and paintjob as well. I will get pics on very soon!

I just picked up this one, not sure of the year.I just found out mine is a 1958. Sulley

036.jpg

026.jpg

Wow very nice, im leavin this one aloan, it rides great. Do you know what tires they came with, i am assuming something GoodYear, mine has a Cordova front and a Carlisl back. Sulley

Sulley said:
Wow very nice, im leavin this one aloan, it rides great. Do you know what tires they came with, i am assuming something GoodYear, mine has a Cordova front and a Carlisl back. Sulley
I am also assuming originally they had Goodyear tires - hence the branding, so I went with a Cheng-Shin blackwall with the Goodyear tread pattern. Mine had what was left of a Cornell Clipper on the rear.

Old thread is OLD!! :lol: I guess 59punk isn't getting those pics up anythime soon! :mrgreen: Nice find Sulley, now you just need to find replacements for that Snyder chainring, and chainguard from...something...! :lol: Yours, being a 58, I think would have the bigger chainguard that goes about halfway around the chainring. -Adam

I contacted Mr Columbia and sent a picture, he first thought the bike was from the 40s untill i sent him the s/n, this is a quote from him.

Quote:
It's newer than I had first guessed. It is from 1958. Since it is a customer bike there is not an exact model in the Columbia catalogs but it is equivalent to the boy's Columbia Torpedo. A different chain-guard and sprocket are the main differences.

So im thinking that the chainring and chain guard are correct. Sulley

Well i stripped off the ugly white house paint on the front forks, found ugly green paint under it, picked up a fender light, not correct im sure but it works so thats cool, popped on another seat and its a rider. Sulley

010-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

So how are you guys putting a year on your Goodyears? I have a skip tooth stripped down and flat blacked out. Serial number L310788. Thanks for any help.

I got mine off the Columbia list.I used the Columbia #s.A125472.My tag just has Goodyear and Hi-Way Patrol on it.It is a '55 girls
MYBIKES063.jpg

Latest posts

Back