Columbia/Goodyear Highway Patrol?

Discussion in 'BIKE TALK' started by 59punk, Jul 22, 2009.

1. 59punk

59punk

0   0   0

I have been trying to find out more about my '59 Columbia I picked up from my father-in-law and noticed that all the other 1959 Columbia's have a different headbadge than mine. Mine says "Goodyear" in bold letters and "made by Columbia" in smaller letters and it also says "highway patrol" on the head badge as well. Is this a rarity or is it that other Columbia's just put on a different head badge? Any help is awesome! Pictures up soon.

2. icyuod2

icyuod2

0   0   0

3. roadmaster

roadmaster

0   0   0

i gotta agree, badged as a goodyear but still made by columbia. i think firestone bikes were similar to this. picts?

4. deorman

deorman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

5. 59punk

59punk

0   0   0

It's actually more like the Schwinn style frames with the intersecting twin tubes meeting at the seat post. I will get pics up soon, I promise. My wife took off for vacation with the camera. Hopefully next week pics will be up.

6. 59punk

59punk

0   0   0

I don't have the pics up yet, but it's pretty much like this but in red, no front breakes or racks. http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/bicycles/1 ... he%201.jpg

7. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

0   0   0

Yours probably looks like mine: [​IMG] It has the wrong chainguard and seat on it. I believe it's a '61. I also have a '62, here's the ebay pic collage: [​IMG] Westfield co. built Columbias and also the Hiway Patrols for Goodyear. ~Adam

8. 59punk

59punk

0   0   0

mine actually is really different, different bars, seat, fenders, forks and paintjob as well. I will get pics on very soon!

9. Sulley

Sulley

0   0   0

I just picked up this one, not sure of the year.I just found out mine is a 1958. Sulley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ratTED

ratTED

0   0   0

Check out the "Builds" for my '54 viewtopic.php?f=21&t=59091[​IMG]

11. Sulley

Sulley

0   0   0

Wow very nice, im leavin this one aloan, it rides great. Do you know what tires they came with, i am assuming something GoodYear, mine has a Cordova front and a Carlisl back. Sulley

12. ratTED

ratTED

0   0   0

I am also assuming originally they had Goodyear tires - hence the branding, so I went with a Cheng-Shin blackwall with the Goodyear tread pattern. Mine had what was left of a Cornell Clipper on the rear.

13. BlackJack

BlackJack

0   0   0

14. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

0   0   0

Old thread is OLD!! :lol: I guess 59punk isn't getting those pics up anythime soon! :mrgreen: Nice find Sulley, now you just need to find replacements for that Snyder chainring, and chainguard from...something...! :lol: Yours, being a 58, I think would have the bigger chainguard that goes about halfway around the chainring. -Adam

15. Sulley

Sulley

0   0   0

I contacted Mr Columbia and sent a picture, he first thought the bike was from the 40s untill i sent him the s/n, this is a quote from him.

Quote:
    It's newer than I had first guessed. It is from 1958. Since it is a customer bike there is not an exact model in the Columbia catalogs but it is equivalent to the boy's Columbia Torpedo. A different chain-guard and sprocket are the main differences.

So im thinking that the chainring and chain guard are correct. Sulley

16. Sulley

Sulley

0   0   0

Well i stripped off the ugly white house paint on the front forks, found ugly green paint under it, picked up a fender light, not correct im sure but it works so thats cool, popped on another seat and its a rider. Sulley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sulley

Sulley

0   0   0

18. BlackJack

BlackJack

0   0   0

Funkadelic! 8)

19. Deerevdevore

Deerevdevore

0   0   0

So how are you guys putting a year on your Goodyears? I have a skip tooth stripped down and flat blacked out. Serial number L310788. Thanks for any help.

20. Bama Bill

Bama Bill

0   0   0

I got mine off the Columbia list.I used the Columbia #s.A125472.My tag just has Goodyear and Hi-Way Patrol on it.It is a '55 girls[​IMG]