77 Schwinn Heavy Duty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(There are no limits to what a "Rat Rod" should be. Anyone can bolt a rusty bike together and flip the bars, not everyone can build or modify a bicycle.)

I hope your kidding about that line. if people had the tools I think they could do what you did with no problem. some builders just like a stock bike ratted out.

Actually, your comment, and Outlaw's response bring up a good point. I think it's a safe bet that anyone who posts here has the aptitude, that is the raw ability to do the work on a project like this. The question then becomes, who among us has invested the effort, time, and money to acquire both the skills and tools to do it. But even then- skill, tools, and materials mean nothing without the inspiration- the creative spark needed to initiate such a project, and the artistic eye to pull it off.
The ability to do the work is not uncommon. The inspiration, and aesthetic are not common at all.

JWM

jwm said:
(There are no limits to what a "Rat Rod" should be. Anyone can bolt a rusty bike together and flip the bars, not everyone can build or modify a bicycle.)

I hope your kidding about that line. if people had the tools I think they could do what you did with no problem. some builders just like a stock bike ratted out.

Actually, your comment, and Outlaw's response bring up a good point. I think it's a safe bet that anyone who posts here has the aptitude, that is the raw ability to do the work on a project like this. The question then becomes, who among us has invested the effort, time, and money to acquire both the skills and tools to do it. But even then- skill, tools, and materials mean nothing without the inspiration- the creative spark needed to initiate such a project, and the artistic eye to pull it off.
The ability to do the work is not uncommon. The inspiration, and aesthetic are not common at all.

JWM
Thanks JWM, I hope to see you at the 10 year anni ride this spring. C-4-L

hey Blue, I don't need to prove myself to you or anyone else. I build bike's that I like and I don't think I am special and have great talants. when I enter a buildoff it will be the sites RRBO, not yours. you have a great day.

Outlaw

So I got to work on the bars today and this is what I got done.
I first got the radius I wanted
dees026.jpg

Then I tacked this collar on so it will fit the neck
dees030.jpg

I got my angle right
dees032.jpg

dees033.jpg

The finished product
I will grind them down tonight
Blue 8)
dees035.jpg

Charles said:
I dig flyers too. The springers work sooo well. My green one has seen some weather but works as new now.
HPIM5108.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing these bikes finished up. I couldn't find the correct springer (shockmaster like yours) for my WF, so I made a beehive work.

ncmq21.jpg

Wildcat said:
Charles said:
I dig flyers too. The springers work sooo well. My green one has seen some weather but works as new now.
HPIM5108.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing these bikes finished up. I couldn't find the correct springer (shockmaster like yours) for my WF, so I made a beehive work.

ncmq21.jpg

Wow, that bike is PERFECTION. I would've never thought to use a beehive like that. o.o

So finally after returning everything twice to the powder coater, they get it right the third time. Here is my wheel set. They are Schwinn S7 rims powdered Gloss Black with a two cross spoke patern, all black spokes with black nipples. The front hub is an early 50's Schwinn and the rear is a 1968 Sturmmy Archer 5 speed. Hope you like them as much as I do.
007.jpg

Blue 8)

So the last of my parts came today. I couldn't get home fast enough to put my Bike together. I rushed so I could get some pictures taken before the sun went down. I forgot to bolt the rear rim and put the reflector on. I think you get the idea. I am taking some professional photos of all my bikes soon. They should come out a lot nicer than mine. :D
blah002.jpg

blah006.jpg

blah008.jpg

I hope you like it as much as I do :D
Blue 8)

Choice metal work dood. :mrgreen:

I like how you utilized the original lines, especially the flow of the downtube. The lines of a Schwinn are nice already, you just made them better in this case. :wink:

I'm also a big fan of the gussets you used with the bb. They kinda look like wings.

Unchained said:
Choice metal work dood. :mrgreen:

I like how you utilized the original lines, especially the flow of the downtube. The lines of a Schwinn are nice already, you just made them better in this case. :wink:

I'm also a big fan of the gussets you used with the bb. They kinda look like wings.
Thanks Unchained. I truly wanted this bicycle to keep an original look about it. I would like to think that if Schwinn were to get their heads out of the ground they would produce a bicycle with a look like this. Thanks again for the compliments.
Blue 8)

Latest posts

Back