77 Schwinn Heavy Duty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I scored a 70's Schwinn Heavy Duty bicycle from the kids across the street for 20$. :D I new I wanted to chop it up instantly. So last night I got to work. :shock:

I straitened the seat stays a bit and that lowered the frame about 5 inches
Dannysbike016.jpg

I knew I wanted to make this frame look as if it came from Schwinn. So I tried to keep the original lines, but stretch them a bit
Dannysbike017.jpg

So I was playing around with ideas for the shape of the frame. The bottom tube will keep that shape. The original seat tube will be cut out and that black tube will be close to what the seat tube will be.
I will stretch the top tube to attach to the seat tube
Dannysbike023.jpg

Dannysbike024.jpg

So I have been going threw my parts bin and found this. It's a 1968 Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub and shifter. How many people have seen one of these?
dannys012.jpg

I dug up some other goodies too. This is an OG Schwinn springer with a locking steering column.
danys004.jpg

Plus this OG Tank with working horn
danys008.jpg

So I put in the seat tube and placed the bottom bracket.
dans005.jpg

dans002.jpg

So I don't know if I want to mount the chain guard
dans006.jpg

I welded the gussets to the bottom bracket this morning and tacked it to the frame.
I plan tonight to finish all the welding and I hope to get some primer on it.
I ordered my spokes for the rims. I am using some old Schwinn Balloon tire rims. I think I will go with a two cross spoke pattern.
Next I will start making a set of handle bars
d003.jpg

d006.jpg

d007.jpg

I want to thank my Father and God for giving me the talents to be able to do what I do with a bike.
Blue 8)

Nice clean welds too, that takes some skill! I like the frame mods, kinda gives me an idea for my Schwinn American.

(There are no limits to what a "Rat Rod" should be. Anyone can bolt a rusty bike together and flip the bars, not everyone can build or modify a bicycle.)

I hope your kidding about that line. if people had the tools I think they could do what you did with no problem. some builders just like a stock bike ratted out.

Outlaw :roll:

The "Belly of the Beast!" I love the shape of this frame mod!

OUTLAW said:
(There are no limits to what a "Rat Rod" should be. Anyone can bolt a rusty bike together and flip the bars, not everyone can build or modify a bicycle.)

I hope your kidding about that line. if people had the tools I think they could do what you did with no problem. some builders just like a stock bike ratted out.

I second that Outlaw. Some of us don't have the tools or the skills. I like my rusty bike.

Sweet build though! :lol:

poverty with a view said:
OUTLAW said:

How about you put your skills where your mouth is and challenge me to a build off.
I will even let you make the rules. Blue 8)
ooOOoOOoOOoooOOOOOOO!

What a build. Ur talent is all u man!
Hope the chain guard makes the finished cycle. Really brings things together with the tank.

sensor said:
poverty with a view said:
OUTLAW said:

How about you put your skills where your mouth is and challenge me to a build off.
I will even let you make the rules. Blue 8)
ooOOoOOoOOoooOOOOOOO!
Let it be a board tracker build.
Parts bike builds vs. custom modification builds.
I started a board track cycle post last night and will be on the parts build side.
Sound off
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48159

:D I want to thank everyone for all the compliments and the support.:D

@Outlaw, the offer still stands, build off? your call. :wink:

Is it me or does a Basman look just like a Western Flyer. Personally I would love to own this Western Flyer over a Basman.
P1070647.jpg

:D :shock: :D Here is a preview of what some of my projects are this winter :D :shock: :D

1952 Monark Super Deluxe
n1530583428_30381957_851433.jpg

Coffin Cat
Coffincat019.jpg

1945 Hiawatha
1945bike008.jpg

My custom Cruiser show bike for next year
Ness001.jpg

So I hope you all keep an eye out for my builds as I have many this winter. Last year winter in Tahoe was 9 months long. Plenty of time.
I will post more of the Schwinn as the painting and parts come along.
Again I would like to thank everyone for the kind words and inspiration.
Blue 8)

I dig flyers too. The springers work sooo well. My green one has seen some weather but works as new now.
HPIM5108.jpg

Back