'60 Jag! 100% DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: '60 Jag!

Decided to make a big push last Saturday and get this thing done! But I NEED a fork! Ideally I want a original paint black 61 and earlier fork without the caliper mount, with a chrome crown, but I'll consider just about anything! I wanna ride this week, help!!

'60 Jag!

aefe101d-22ef-b35a.jpg

aefe101d-2315-df60.jpg

aefe101d-2325-c85f.jpg

Just about done, need a chain and check some other things. I really want to find a coaster brake fork, they're a bit shorter and will allow me to bolt the truss rods up. I'd have to straighten these rods up to get them to reach the fork now, and I'd rather not do that.

Thanks for checking! Your Corvette was my inspiration! Worse case scenario I'll pull the red fork off my Typhoon and give it the full treatment.

My buddy helped me finish the bike off last Friday. Installed a black chain, and just gave everything a good once over. Then we took our rides to the bars! Bike rides great, the only problem was I put the toothed washers in the wrong way... Rookie mistake. Once we figured that out, all was well. I really dig having the 2 speed kickback! I can really fly down the few hills around here. When in top gear, I brake and it comes down to low, which is great. But if I'm in low and I brake to a stop, when I try to get going again I'm in top gear, which kinda sucks! But I'm getting the hang of it.
I still have a few upgrades planned, so stay tuned!

lol,I may steal the truss rod idea for my vette! The trusses really set them off.The crash rail seat is awesome too,really a nice touch.
On another note I may have to pull the OCC forks off the 41DX,I just cant seem to get it off the ground with them on the bike.Seems no matter what part combo i try it just looks wrong.Ill figure it out eventually lol

Im glad the Corvette inspired you but I think you beat the ole vette with your Jag!

Wow, thanks guys!
I do really love the look of the truss rods... It's driving me nuts that I can't install them! The seat is just the stock seat this bike came with, hard as a rock though! Since I do upholstery for a living, that will soon be mended, and classed up a bit. :D

'60 Jag!

I've been fine tuning this bike over the last few months. I found a coaster brake fork, stripped it bare, red oxide primered it, painted it black and had it striped as per original. I could finally mount my truss rods! It closed the gap between between the fork and frame, lowering the front about a half inch. When I had the fork striped, I also had the guy add a white stripe down each lower bar, and striped the kickback black. I also purchased and mounted up a repro Schwinn tear drop reflector. I'd still like to install a bulb with a hidden battery pack and switch under the seat... And a small headlight eventually. I scored the "lucky 7" seat post at a swap meet a few weeks ago. I dig how it looks, but it's hard not to slide off the back sometimes! Enough jabber, here's a few shots.
aeeb82fa-322e-9b97.jpg

aeeb82fa-3248-39d4.jpg

aeeb82fa-325d-f6be.jpg

I promise I'll take some non cell phone shots one of these days ;)

'60 Jag!

Since I installed the layed back seat post, I wasn't digging the stretch to the handlebars. And the bars looked too high in side profile. Dug through my buddy's box o' stems yesterday and found this. It dropped the bars down and back making it lower in profile, and MUCH more comfy to ride. The one bolt design looks super clean, too. I really dig it!
aeeb8335-4986-1eb3.jpg

aeeb8335-4998-be21.jpg

aeeb8335-49af-0e91.jpg

aeeb8335-49c3-5cd5.jpg

That is waaaay cool 8) ....real nice and creative work on this build! :D

Thanks dude! I'm contemplating a tank since the frame originally had one. Would have to find an original that doesn't break the bank though...

Well I found my tank :)
aeeb820e-63d1-b059.jpg

It's straight, I scrubbed the crap out of it trying to get rid of as much rust as I could, and I took off what was left of the paint (some original, mostly respray). Got some hardware and screwed it on this morning.
aeeb820e-644b-c24b.jpg

I really dig the look. Only downside is that it amplifies every squeak and vibration when I ride! I think I'll shoot the inside with some rubberized undercoat before I mask and shoot the outside in gloss black.
Anyone know where I can find the white Schwinn decals that are correct for this tank/my bike? Not the gold script style, the late 50's early 60's style. And if anyone has a horn, I'm interested!

Re: '60 Jag! Now with Tank!

This bike gets better with each post. 8)

Check out memorylane-classics.com ...all kinds of Schwinn decals and probably a horn for that tank.

Thanks! I detailed the tank a few weeks ago, and got some decals on ebay from bicyclebones... but I was not at all pleased with them. I was hoping they were a water transfer, and it was going to just leave the letters, but it was not. It was going to leave clear sticker around the decal. It also had the stars on each side, it was clearly for a chain guard but it was advertised as being correct for my Mark IV Jag. Hopefully the ones from memorylane will be better :/

In other news, my girlfriend and I entered our bikes in our first bike show yesterday. I had my Jag, and she brought her Monark (One Classy Broad). There was 4 classes, she one best classic cruiser, and I won best Schwinn. I've never won anything like that, so I'm still pretty pumped about it! :D

tanarava.jpg
mu2ature.jpg

ypyvy3ed.jpg

Thanks man! The Fat Franks are a tight fit in a middleweight.

I'm still looking for a horn assembly, repro is fine. I want to fill that hole. Any leads?

Latest posts

Back