19PENNYSAVER71 (LAST UPDATE 07/31 FINAL DETAILS)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/18)

that hot rod that you posted is a fiberglas body. Originally it was yellow with big buillet wheels. He redid it to look like an old rusty paint job. they even drilled holes in the body to look like a little cancer. It was featured in one of the hot rod magazines I read. Looks good btw

skillsthebarber said:
that hot rod that you posted is a fiberglas body. Originally it was yellow with big buillet wheels. He redid it to look like an old rusty paint job. they even drilled holes in the body to look like a little cancer. It was featured in one of the hot rod magazines I read. Looks good btw

I was wondering about that. A '37 Ford 3 window never existed in steel, right...

The bike is comming along great. I love the fake rust. 8)

Yes that is correct. When I was looking for pictures of the idea I had in my mind I ran into that pic on the hotrod website. Very cool looking car.

Great build. I've never seen that adhesion promoter before. Hmm I might have to try that. Keep having fun. I'm watching ya build.

This build is sick I have a frame almost the same except its 26" cant wait to start tearing into her.

Wooden Foot said:
This build is sick I have a frame almost the same except its 26" cant wait to start tearing into her.
Thanks much appreciated for the comment.

Oneuglybike said:
I am really digging your painting, by the way I have a very similar paint booth! :wink:
Ha ha thanks. I love my paint booth and it was free. I am very pleased as to how the paint came out. I will have some more updated pics hopefully this evening, so keep an eye out.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/30)

Ok RRBikers here we go for another update. Finally got some time this evening to work on the bike so I started off with the wheels. I sanded down the wheels since they were chrome and I wanted to paint them. I just wanted to scuff them up a bit so that when I sprayed them with the etch primer it would adhere really well.

Off to my paintbooth!
IMAG0077.jpg

Here it is after the etch primer has been sprayed on.
IMAG0078.jpg

And the magic color is? Tun Tun Tun Tun "Autumn Crush" from the good ole Lowes. I know the picture does not do the color that much justice but it is a really cool looking orange/red color.
IMAG0079.jpg

Here it is after a few good sprays of the Autumn Crush. Ok so while I let them dry a bit I ate dinner (nothing special tonight) chicken salad with some chips, then I started on installing some of the parts back on the frame.
IMAG0080.jpg

Let's start with the springer fork that I ordered online. Ok so I really wish that I had a rusty ole springer fork but since I don't and after looking for a few weeks I just decided that I would buy a new one and figure something out to make it look rusty and ratty. BTW anyone have any ideas I am open for suggestions.
IMAG0033.jpg

Here it is after install and man do I love the look it is exactly what I had in my mind. Now I just need to make it look rusty.
IMAG0082.jpg

Next up the chainring.
IMAG0084.jpg

Here it is after install.
IMAG0085.jpg

Ok RRBikers so I installed the tubes and tires and mounted the wheels on the frame to have on a rolling frame. I still have to take off the masking tape on the spokes and do some cleaning on the wheels but let me know what you all think. I am diggin it bigtime!!!! That is it for now until the next update.
IMAG0087.jpg

I'm really diggin it, also. IMHO I wouldn't do ANYTHING to the fork. The bike looks "right". The color(s), the tire size, the fork, the stance. NICE!

KOTA said:
I'm really diggin it, also. IMHO I wouldn't do ANYTHING to the fork. The bike looks "right". The color(s), the tire size, the fork, the stance. NICE!

Thanks for the comments and your humble opinion. You might be right now after starring at it for the last 15 minutes.

It's funny how that works. You can look at your OWN bike for hours, and wonder if it's right.....But when you look at someone elses bike, you know immediately. :lol:

KOTA said:
It's funny how that works. You can look at your OWN bike for hours, and wonder if it's right.....But when you look at someone elses bike, you know immediately. :lol:

Haha true!

Looks good ta me. Nice stance. Now get ta buildin'. Peace

Latest posts

Back