Wire baskets.. can they be truly masculine?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gashuffy63 said:
Depends on what is in the basket.

beach.jpg

You beat me to it gashuffy63! My new build will have a basket on it specifically for this purpose. Maybe even a springer fork so my hops pops don't pop before they get home!

El Duderino said:
Meeba said:
IMAG0314.jpg

IMG00094-20100310-1719.jpg

Here is my "picking" bike and a mockup of the trailer I am making for it. I like to call it "Basket Case"

i spent the night in jail for taking a shopping cart. nothing like turning 18 and getting it out of the way

All you have to do is ask and ye shall recieve. like i said earlier, it was damaged by a snow plow and i was able to sieze the oportunity to fit my needs. the manager was more than happy for me to make it dissapear so it was a win win situation. besides....the bottom half was all discombobulated anyway. Don't get me wrong.....I get more rejections than i do positive answers, but that does not have me give up trying to scrounge for parts.

Baskets are cool, not super cool, just functional cool. I would not put one on a custom unless it was a one off wood crate or something like that but on a true "Rat" rider it's a go.

This is the basket on my Schwarthorne.
File0055.jpg

File0056.jpg

The skull decoration is a souvenir from my trip to the Rumblers Hot Rod Show. It's cut out of 1/4" steel. 8)

Im seeing a trend here that adds libido to a basket

1. Beer
2. black spray paint
3. beer
4. basket ornament or accessory

IF you went and made some baskets out of treadplate expanded mesh they could be pretty masculine.

This stuff I'm talking about--it's used as flooring for raised metal walkways and stairs at industrial sites:
http://www.traderscity.com/board/produc ... sh-137920/

You'd probably want to use aluminum mesh though, because the steel stuff would end up making a REALLY heavy basket.
~

Man, there is nothing wrong with any baskets. Of course if you paint it pink and add a Hello Kitty sticker you could be missinterpreted :)
Personally I like to see them in the back, attached to a rack. Mine is just a wooden wine box.
Keep rollin'

stocksucks said:
Man, there is nothing wrong with any baskets. Of course if you paint it pink and add a Hello Kitty sticker you could be missinterpreted :)
Personally I like to see them in the back, attached to a rack. Mine is just a wooden wine box.
Keep rollin'

Hmmmm.....that just gave me an idea

A Hello Ratfink???? I am gonna run that idea past the old lady or my daugters for one of thier bikes

Thanks for the inspiration :D

i always dug these, never got one though ... i believe the same people made a mini ape hanger with a built in basket too

CPH-Parts_bike_side_recykle.jpg

found a pic of the mini apes, search for goodmorning technology or bike porter to find them ... dont know but i think they are $pendy :cry:

bike1-500x391.jpg

I currently don't have any baskets but i haul a trailer, and have a few racks. I always say if it's functional, who cares what people say about it. I have been pulled over by folks all the time wanting to buy my trailer when they see me hauling big loads with it.

This is how I rode home from a swap meet near my house a couple years ago.

return5.jpg

It was all uphill on the way home too! Thanks!!!

Cashman, may I suggest getting baskets on the back of your bike instead of the front? That front basket looks like its going to break off or something. :shock:

Yup, you're not talking about white wicker and little fake flowers here boys. These bikes are for working!

There's nothing in the bike world tougher than a Worksman, and mine hauls all kinds of tools and parts all over the plant I work in. I've bent and straightened the basket a number of times due to overloading and the occasional unstable parking job- its heavy enough to hurt itself.

works040209.jpg

No one would doubt that a Cycletruck is a manly machine.... and highly prized in almost any condition.

My other hauler is my '65 Collegiate- I've added dual paperboy baskets to the rear rack, and I can haul enough stuff to make it unpleasant. :p It's a heavy rig though so I'm thinking of changing to a small front basket and just keeping the rear rack.

Here's the good news: the wire baskets are super cheap, still made the same way, from welded wire, made in USA by Wald, and available from Niagara Cycle. You will be surprised what you can get for little money. I ordered all the baskets for our Bike Share New London bikes from them, and they were under $10 apiece. Nicely built, just like the classic ones, straps around the bars and legs down to the front fork. They don't fit well on some front fork dropouts though- I've had to grind, bend and modify a little here and there to get an easy installation.

--Rob

I'm thinking about paperboy baskets on the back of my Schwinn for the trips to the grocery store up north. So far my wife's basket comes in handy so we ride together on beer runs.

A rusty cycle truck would be really cool.

When I lost my job a few years ago, I went back to school. No patience for hunting a parking spot, so I rode this everyday to college. I was the coolest kid at the bike rack. It carried all my welding gear and books.
DAILYRIDER01.jpg

Here is a buddy of mine, when I gave him his bike w/ buddy carrier.
IMG_0004c2B.jpg

outsider13 said:
When I lost my job a few years ago, I went back to school. No patience for hunting a parking spot, so I rode this everyday to college. I was the coolest kid at the bike rack. It carried all my welding gear and books.
DAILYRIDER01.jpg

Here is a buddy of mine, when I gave him his bike w/ buddy carrier.
IMG_0004c2B.jpg
Good for you! Whatever works. I have a basket on one of my Dyno Glides. With the way gas prices are going up. I carry two gallons of Milk in the basket and other groceries in my backpack.

Latest posts

Back