Winter hobbies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as of last night my hobbie is digging my wife out of the snow. She got stuck in a ditch last night, and again this morning. She is now grounded to the house, and not allowed to drive until tomorrow for work, if the roads have improved.

- race RC onroad
- collect and restore/customise vintage RC vehicles (tamiya buggys in particular)
- build bikes (im to busy riding in the summer!)
- thinkin about getting back on to the snow...i used to have a snowboard company back in the day...but now im thinking custom bmx snow bikes....
- buying and selling stuff online...usually buy more than i sell tho :(
- paint
- stress about the fact that i still havent got a decent website for my clothing company! lol
- wanna learn: pinstriping, airbrushing, screen printing, silver casting and need to buy a mig and get good at weilding

brett

TheFlyingDingo said:
It basically varies what i do, Obsess over craigslist, Build legos, play some videogames...sleep
HA! Wow, that's creepy, are we related?? Seeing several emerging patterns herre. Scooters, VW's, RC Cars, Legos, bands/music...

Kind of interesting. Maybe we need to take a RRB Census.

I'm actually getting more bike building done in the Fall/Winter than the rest of the year, even though the weather isn't great for painting, it makes me prep more. I've been spending a lot of time stripping frames and sorting the junk I have accumulated throughtout the year. Spring and Summer is riding time and scouting for bikes and other stuff, I don't get much done at all durring those months.

If I'm not at work or with my 16 month old, I'm washing salt off of my Volvo(s) :x :( , working on a bike or two, drawing / painting, playing a video game, hitting the thrift stores. I'd have about a hundred hobbies if I was allowed the time I think. I too enjoy the Legos. Oh, R/C Cars, I love those things but I don't have one. Just another expensive hobby I can't afford. I dig those scooters too though. I'd really like to get another 4x4 and do some 4 wheeling...lots of things I'd like to do.

Between art projects, bike projects and the family and dogs, there is maybe a little time left for sleep and a cigar and scotch now and then. That's a hobby right?? :wink:

skoda said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
It basically varies what i do, Obsess over craigslist, Build legos, play some videogames...sleep
HA! Wow, that's creepy, are we related?? Seeing several emerging patterns herre. Scooters, VW's, RC Cars, Legos, bands/music...

Kind of interesting. Maybe we need to take a RRB Census.

I'm actually getting more bike building done in the Fall/Winter than the rest of the year, even though the weather isn't great for painting, it makes me prep more. I've been spending a lot of time stripping frames and sorting the junk I have accumulated throughtout the year. Spring and Summer is riding time and scouting for bikes and other stuff, I don't get much done at all durring those months.

If I'm not at work or with my 16 month old, I'm washing salt off of my Volvo(s) :x :( , working on a bike or two, drawing / painting, playing a video game, hitting the thrift stores. I'd have about a hundred hobbies if I was allowed the time I think. I too enjoy the Legos. Oh, R/C Cars, I love those things but I don't have one. Just another expensive hobby I can't afford. I dig those scooters too though. I'd really like to get another 4x4 and do some 4 wheeling...lots of things I'd like to do.

Between art projects, bike projects and the family and dogs, there is maybe a little time left for sleep and a cigar and scotch now and then. That's a hobby right?? :wink:
Funny, ive been doing the thrift store stuff on ebay, since every time i pass the salvation army around here its closed.

I havent been ketting much bike stuff done cuz...the only things i need to do right now is paint...and its been impossible

Are we related...? :wink:

I'll build one of these every year or two over the winter. This is one I rebuilt last year after augering it into the ground after a flameout the year before.

355clmodel.jpg

It is an old Sterling profile fuselage P-51 control line or Ukie model plane that goes back some years. It has a Fox .35 stunt engine and 42" wingspan. The wing is mostly original but the rest except for the engine has had to be replaced several times. They are a blast to build and especially fly.

Cool plane cashman, I bet those are a blast to fly and must pull like crazy on that line. I've just got back into Hot Wheels and 1/64 cars in general. Only this time, I'm doing a lot of custom jobs. Anyone surprised? :mrgreen:

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Gerry

Gerry, those cars are awesome!!! It's great that there are fellow modelers on this site. I bet there could be a battle of the bands too!!! I'll try to post some pics after next time we go flying. Thanks!!!

David

that garage is empty. :roll: ...you can actually see the floor.....mine has stuff piled 6 feet high :oops: can i keep a car in there?

i love those dreams !!! and i thought thats what i saw in the background in the other bike pics, i especially like the white ones for some reason. my grandpa had a black and white "toaster bike" when he was younger too.

CCR said:
i love those dreams !!! and i thought thats what i saw in the background in the other bike pics, i especially like the white ones for some reason. my grandpa had a black and white "toaster bike" when he was younger too.

Dude, I'm fookin' hooked! Can't stop staring at it. Ordered a bunch of parts this morning (solo seat, carb kit, rectifier). Little Navel Jelly & Elbow grease last night:

dream013.jpg

They're gonna have a hard time keeping my ... at this desk for the rest of this week... :p

well i don't no how hardcore hotwheels you guys are but here is some of my dads collection
ENJOY!
041.jpg

040.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

036.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

the cars aren't exactly a winter hobby but i've seen hotwheels mentioned befre so here they are

these trucks my dad bult a few years ago when he was unemployed
the first one with the trailer is hollow but the second one is soild wood

033.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

if this is too much speak up
there are actually more pictures to come if you guys are interested
but if not
let me know
THANKS!

if you like
the upcoming pics would be mostly "custom" ones
different wheels
paint
so on and so fourth
lmk

and you nbo what
by buying the second wooden truck (without the trailer)
you can boost my college fund even more :mrgreen:

Coleman stoves and lanterns..Like this.. Behind is a wood carving set I got for 5 bucks at a yard sale.. But,, I dont carve wood. So, anyone want it?
DSCF0005.jpg

Collect parts (ebay)for bikes and the Cutlass. I try to squezze some time to wrench on the Corvair (thinking about "ratting" it a bit) and since football season is over, I'm gonna get started on a hog cruiser bike a dude at work wants for his son. Some friends at work have RC Derbys, they get cars from radio shack, modify station wagan model car bodies to fit, and smash till they quit or need recharged. The wagons are even done up to look like the real derby cars, wired shut doors and hoods, funky paint with dr/door white, and a tooth pic taped to the A piller aka quit-stick. Crazy stuff this cabin fever.

Latest posts

Back