What toy version of your favorite cars can you not find?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
freddyfingaz said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Yeah I had a 1978 Mercedes 240d and I loved it! Wasn't a wagon though just a 4 door sedan. 45+mpg and the style and luxury that is Mercedes Benz. Always wanted the wagon though.

Cool, I wanted one when I was teenage. My dad refuse let me get it cuz it has many issues and parts are expensive

I kept mine (1977 300D) until it reached 464,000 miles and then sold it to a diesel mechanic who wanted a reliable safe car for his daughter. Parts are very reasonable. You just don't buy direct from MB unless you have to. Parts were far less expensive than for my Honda and Toyota. I think in the 20 years I owned it I did very little in the way of replacing parts. I did one master cylinder, 2 brake calipers, a vacuum shut off valve, 2 injector tips, front ball joints, the top tank to the radiator and the rest was normal wear parts.

The power windows were a bit problematic as was the sunroof. Parts for both were inexpensive though.

Yeah NEVER buy straight from MB, I tried to buy a replacement hood ornament once...I think they had it listed at $179 :shock: I found one at a junkyard and bought the hood ornament, grill, and the little hood latch that always broke for $25. Mine being the 240D didn't have a sunroof and had crank windows so I never had those problems but the vacuum system they use to operate the locks never worked and the electrical system with all the grounds colored brown kinda threw me off at first. Other than that it was a great car till it rusted out and the rear end cradle decided to retire to the trunk area. Should have just listened to the car and made it a low rider. :mrgreen:

mastronaut said:
I had one of these a few years ago and I want to replace it....No dice..so far 8)

BLKRR.jpg
These to aint black but they are nice!
http://www.hotwheelsshop.com/store/hwpr ... oup_id=514
http://www.hotwheelsshop.com/store/hwpr ... up_id=1671

cledry said:
freddyfingaz said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Yeah I had a 1978 Mercedes 240d and I loved it! Wasn't a wagon though just a 4 door sedan. 45+mpg and the style and luxury that is Mercedes Benz. Always wanted the wagon though.

Cool, I wanted one when I was teenage. My dad refuse let me get it cuz it has many issues and parts are expensive

I kept mine (1977 300D) until it reached 464,000 miles and then sold it to a diesel mechanic who wanted a reliable safe car for his daughter. Parts are very reasonable. You just don't buy direct from MB unless you have to. Parts were far less expensive than for my Honda and Toyota. I think in the 20 years I owned it I did very little in the way of replacing parts. I did one master cylinder, 2 brake calipers, a vacuum shut off valve, 2 injector tips, front ball joints, the top tank to the radiator and the rest was normal wear parts.

The power windows were a bit problematic as was the sunroof. Parts for both were inexpensive though.

I'm sure it is cheaper at this moment than ten years ago. I just kept seeing all my friends has this car never lasted a month even if they already took it to mechanic. Just never see them running more than months. I'm just surprise to hear how good it is. Maybe those cars I seen is not diesel or something or bad year but its 80's Mercedes

The gas models were not great and like anything else it depends how the previous owners took care of it. I got lucky when I got mine the guy was a diesel mechanic by trade and after he passed his wife sold it to me because she couldn't drive a stick shift. Lots of people don't change the glow plugs or plug in the block heater in the winter then burn out the starter and battery trying to start it. Then the alternator has to work overtime to compensate and it wears everything else down. Also changing the oil on time every time is key to long life in a diesel.

outskirtscustoms said:
The gas models were not great and like anything else it depends how the previous owners took care of it. I got lucky when I got mine the guy was a diesel mechanic by trade and after he passed his wife sold it to me because she couldn't drive a stick shift. Lots of people don't change the glow plugs or plug in the block heater in the winter then burn out the starter and battery trying to start it. Then the alternator has to work overtime to compensate and it wears everything else down. Also changing the oil on time every time is key to long life in a diesel.

Maintenance and research is the key to keep it last. My friends doesnt have the skills to do but taking it to mechanic. Lol. But 45mpg that can go over 400k miles sound a very good car especially on 80's year. Impressive.

As far as diesels go the 80's is where you want them. After that they tried to computer control everything and make anything they can out of plastic and ruined automobiles in my opinion.

outskirtscustoms said:
As far as diesels go the 80's is where you want them. After that they tried to computer control everything and make anything they can out of plastic and ruined automobiles in my opinion.

True. 80's is evolution to football shaped cars. Lol

freddyfingaz said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Plastic football shaped cars...Lol it's bad when the tires contain more steel than the car they are on.

outskirtscustoms said:
freddyfingaz said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Plastic football shaped cars...Lol it's bad when the tires contain more steel than the car they are on.

Yup I had to replace all plastic rivets to metal on my scion tc because firewalls kept come off and rattle like madness. That is 1/4 cheaper and outlasted plastic rivets.

Back