What is this I've found?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What is this I've found? " said my Dad when he brought it to me. I said I have no idea. Bare to the weather and made of Aluminium with all the welds smoothed out. Center pull brakes, 21 speed, dial in front forks, and clipless pedals. The frame has a kettle fuzz patina to it. Worth saving?

WhatThiz.jpg

Graylock

I say: "Cut it up, and make a scooter out of it".

Cannondale M500/600 or so mid-90s vintage maybe. Those dropouts would bend if you jumped the bike any. Had a friend replace his frame about a dozen times, amazing how long they made them like 91ish til 96 ish IIRC. Looks like the fork is toast, as to whether it's worth saving, who knows, lots of Cdale homers back East might be worth something to somebody.

Although I think it's kinda cool I wouldn't trust the rear dropouts as far as I could throw them. It looks like it's got all sorts of parts though, I'd part it out or use it as a shop sign. Would look cool as an army bike it's got that industrial look going for it but not much else.

outskirtscustoms said:
Although I think it's kinda cool I wouldn't trust the rear dropouts as far as I could throw them. It looks like it's got all sorts of parts though, I'd part it out or use it as a shop sign. Would look cool as an army bike it's got that industrial look going for it but not much else.
I think I could throw those dropouts pretty darn far, especially after they brake off!

So it is a bike :shock: If I gave it away I'd be giving away parts. I'll strip it and give the frame to my metal guy who will keep his eye out for better bikes.

I didn't like the drop outs either but I thought it was the one thing that would identify it. It is a light frame but the parts out weight the chances of keeping it, I got way to many bikes now as it is...... :roll: ........I mean I might need that spot for a better bike. Thanks for the input everyone.

Graylock

The frame might actually be worth a little money, there are some people that are into older mountain bikes, and that one does seem to have some interesting features.

2manybikes said:
socal_jack said:
Cannondale M500/600 or so mid-90s vintage maybe.
I concur...definately a Cannondale (Crack-N-Fail). I went the rounds with their warranty dept. back in the day on a similar frame.

That's what we used to call them when I worked in the bike shop. Was also not a fan of their warranty dept.

Now C'dale is part of the Pacific family. Kinda sad as one of the last major US bicycle companies to sell out. Back to the bike...I think you could get some decent pocket change for that frame. There's a pretty decent size vintage MTB crowd out there looking for stuff like this. I think it would still make a nice bike and you could easily flip it. Shoot it with a coat of paint or leave it and maybe just a decal kit for it and flip it.

I went for one ride on one of those and brought the frame back bent. It was a brand new loaner bike from the bike shop that sponsored me as a BMX racer. I liked it a lot, but it was too delicate.

Latest posts

Back